Supra Forums banner

What standalone EMS are you running?

1K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  reallygood101 
#1 ·
Hi!

Will buy a standalone these days, but have not decided on what brand. I have heard good things about VIPEC, AEM, ELECTROMOTIVE ++

My friend has a Electromotive TEC GT and that system looks awesome. Looking to use the coils that comes with it also.

AEM is a killer deal for alot on Supraforums, and it seems to me that AEM is a great product as well... also got the PnP.

VIPEC has the PnP for the Supra as well.

Anyone know how much gain I will get on going the standalone route than piggyback? Got MAP ECU 2 and 552 RWHP/507 RWTQ at the moment. Which I believe is a poor result on my setup!

Fred

#2 ·
i have AEM myself, i think its what most guys have on their cars...i have heard alot of stories of defective units, with a chip coming loose inside...but if you do get a bad one they will replace it under warrenty

i dont kno much about the other standalones but AEM has alot of support behind it, like free software updates and their own forum site you can go to for info.

the power you can get out of a standalone all depends on the tune, a good tune can get you a good amount of improvement

#3 ·
also another one is motec.

alot of people are running the AEM. that seems to be the most popular these days. there aren't many proEFI tuners around, but thats what i'm going with. i got lucky that Sound performance is one of those few tuners, since they are located about an hour from me. supposedly, the ProEFI cures most of the ailments that the aem has.

#4 ·
If you are not planning on going all out road course racing and logging track data, etc.... then just go with AEM. It is a very powerful unit for the price and best of all, allows the end user access to the software. Also, as mention alot of members here use it including me and any problem you have can pretty much be answer here. Not sure about the other units but the AEM controls the Supra's idle motor very well which allows for a very stock like idle. Go AEM and have John Reed tune your car, he's got the touch to make your car run like stock. But if you must have the best unit with advance features incase you want to log data like F1 cars then look into the motec M600 or M800 but you gotta pay big $$$$$ for it.

#5 ·
Hi

Thanks for inputs... I believe it would be kind of hard letting John Reed tune my ride... I don`t believe he`s in Norway these days.. LOL

#14 ·
Haha, that is the right email. John is always on the move so it takes him awhile to get to you. You have to keep sending him the email. Yes, John is in the norcal area alot. Hey, contact the sheep boy cummin's on here, he is like John's left nut and can probably help you.

#12 ·
Hi

Yes, I heard that from some guys in Norway as well...about this loose chip...

#17 ·
i have been to three diffrent tuners. i even had jermay lizie (sp)? tune it which he tunes all of sunk two racers in las vegas. i have even called henry from aem, kean from boost logic and Dave H look at everything and no one is this damn country knows whats wrong with my supra.

#18 ·
Not saying the guys you mentioned don't know what they are doing but you should have John Reed tune your setup. John know's his stuff and is very easy to work with. I am 99% sure he can figure out what is wrong with your setup. I also run AEM and my car drives like stock, no BS. Send him a pm. What is your setup by the way?

#19 ·
Hi

I have decided to go with Electromotive TEC GT. Will throw away the distributor and go with the electromotive coil packs. Need to buy myself a trigger wheel and the trigger sensor! :)

#22 ·
Hi

I don`t see any problem with that? Not that I know, buuut...

#27 ·
Dude, just drive the few hours to Chicago and go to SP. Nothing against JR, but Larry is just as good with the AEM. My car runs almost like stock and it dose not even have an idle control motor, once that is in it will be like butter.

No problems with John Reed, but your going to need to go to a dyno anyway, so why not just go to SP?

O and did that MAF work out for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.