Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for some new rear tires. Looking for a good summer tire for the street rain/dry (not R compound) that can take a 2nd gear(bpu)pull without breaking traction. Also looking for good tire tread life. What do you guys recommend? Thanks:)

·
Registered
786 Posts
All depends on what size you need? 17", 18" wheel? Also alignment setting can make a world of difference on rear traction at bpu levels. Depending on rwhp, its possible you'll still break traction in the dry at the top of 2nd.

Possible options:
Michelin PSS (great tire for long tread life and wet traction, but expensive)
Continental Extreme Contact DW
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 PP

·
Game Over
1,249 Posts
I have Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's that are about 3 years old when I got them. They are 315/30/18's in the rear, and they could not hold 2nd gear at BPU+++ at all. They did okay once they were warmed up. Wet traction is worthless. They also come with 220 tread wear ratings. I would probably look into the Michelin PSS, because they have better all-around traction, and their around 300 tread wear for better longevity. Maybe if the tires weren't as old, it would've probably performed better when I got them, but for how much they are worth, I was hoping they'd do better.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
Michelin PSS (great tire for long tread life and wet traction, but expensive)
Yes, yes, yes. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are what I use. I drive my car to the track, at the track, and home from the track on these. My rears are 285 wide & 18" diameter (can't remember the aspect ratio right now), and they hold 2nd gear WOT just fine on dry pavement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are what I use. I drive my car to the track, at the track, and home from the track on these. My rears are 285 wide & 18" diameter (can't remember the aspect ratio right now), and they hold 2nd gear WOT just fine on dry pavement.
+1 mpss. my 401hp/433tq 93 6spd held traction like no other. i swear by these tires. but this time I'm running 275s Continental Extreme Contact DW on the stock wheels for my 98. hopefully they are just as good.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 mpss. my 401hp/433tq 93 6spd held traction like no other. i swear by these tires. but this time I'm running 275s Continental Extreme Contact DW on the stock wheels for my 98. hopefully they are just as good.
Let us know how the Continental tires do:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
will do!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Michelin PSS here. They held great at BPU levels and are ok at APU levels. My first set of rears lasted me about 20,000 km over 4 years. Just got another rear set this past summer. Got the first set for $1400 then rears just now for about $700. 285/35/18. Also if you get caught in the rain they can keep you on the road. I had some p-zeros a while ago and spun out on the Hwy 401 in torrential rain. Nothing happened thankfully, but I never went back to those tires. Conti's were ok, but the PSS are well worth it and the best all rounder.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michelin PSS here. They held great at BPU levels and are ok at APU levels. My first set of rears lasted me about 20,000 km over 4 years. Just got another rear set this past summer. Got the first set for $1400 then rears just now for about $700. 285/35/18. Also if you get caught in the rain they can keep you on the road. I had some p-zeros a while ago and spun out on the Hwy 401 in torrential rain. Nothing happened thankfully, but I never went back to those tires. Conti's were ok, but the PSS are well worth it and the best all rounder.

Thanks knan:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts