Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota said the reason my car was shuting off was because my "thrust pilot bearing" was in my oil pan ????? what the hell is that??? and they have had my car for like a month and a 1/2 . does anyone know what exactly there trying to say???

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That sounds strange but it could be true. If the crankshaft trust bearing is worn or broken it allows the crankshaft to move back and forth in the block. When that happens the reluctor wheel on the crank is out of line with the crank sensor. When that happens it will stop ignition and injector pulse. I am a GM mechanic and have seen it a few times on the 3.4 engine, also usually happens more with a manual trans. Hope that this helps you!

·
1,522 Posts
A month and a half. Damn, I could have put in a new engine and power train in and out about 3 times in that amount of time. I think they are just keeping your car there so they can take it for joy rides.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
The thrust bearing sits between the crank and the block. They prevent them from coming into contact with each other. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bottom line is your shortblock has to come out. To make things worse, this type of failure often means your crank and block are not reuseable as the crank starts grinding itself into the block & main bearing caps.

This type of failure is extremely uncommon for a Supra, you might want to consider a second opinion. BTW, did yuo happen to have either a lightened flywheel and/or underdrive crank pulley?

-Mike

MM97TT said:
Toyota said the reason my car was shuting off was because my "thrust pilot bearing" was in my oil pan ????? what the hell is that??? and they have had my car for like a month and a 1/2 . does anyone know what exactly there trying to say???

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went to the dealer today and they showed me my oil pan with these bent up rings in it i was lie ok now they said they have to take out my crank to see the damage if any. there was no noise coming from the engine to knocking or anything

and i dont have pulleys or lighten flywheel

and if i have toget a new short block im going for a stroked 3.4 go all out

·
4,417 Posts
MM97TT said:
i went to the dealer today and they showed me my oil pan with these bent up rings in it i was lie ok now they said they have to take out my crank to see the damage if any. there was no noise coming from the engine to knocking or anything

I noticed you are in NC... so am I... where are you? I'm in Raleigh.

Strokers are big dollars! But go for it if you want....

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MM97TT said:

Sounds like you have been the victim of a VERY rare occurence for Supras. I wouldn't mess with rebuilding the short block, and go ahead and buy the stock one, which in my opinion one of the strongest production blocks in existence. I like mine.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
Unless you have plans to exceed 750rwhp or use NOS, I'm with Walser here. But before anything else, I would see what the machine shop has to say about even the possibility of rebuilding your existing shortblock, as I said earlier, it is not uncommon for this type of failure to render the block & crank not reuseable. If this is the case, to get a new shortblock and build it from there would be very costly. A new factory shortblock is only about $2000. I've been through rebuilding my shortblock once, hopefully my experiences will spare you some downtime. Shoot me an email if you'd like.

-Mike

Walser said:

Sounds like you have been the victim of a VERY rare occurence for Supras. I wouldn't mess with rebuilding the short block, and go ahead and buy the stock one, which in my opinion one of the strongest production blocks in existence. I like mine.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you guys think i should just try and rebulid my engine now or buy and oem block ??? i hate my local dealership right now they suck and the weather is nice and i want to drive fast !!!!!

yes jim im from fayetteville there are a couple of us here we all pretty much know each other

i want to get the nc supras together sometime show some ricers whats up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts