Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking around my engine bay, just kinda perusing it, and I found a couple of weird things, I'm hoping you guys can help me out... I know that mycar had a JDM 7M put in it, and I don't know who did it or how good of a job they did. Please let me know what you guys think about these. Here's some pics:

I found this wire tag under the fuel pump relay, it has 4 red wires with different stripes, and one white/black wire. It was just coiled up not doing anything. Should it be connected to something? I assume it used to go somewhere... but where?

Also:

I noticed what looks like a capped-off water neck at the back of the motor. I noticed it while I was trying to see if my valve cover gaskets are still leaking, and there it was. Do I need to reconnect that with something?

I would appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks!

EDIT: I just checked them with a 12v test light, and it doesn't seem that any of them have power, but still, makes me wonder.

·
Registered
942 Posts
the cap on the back you leave alone, but if its old you should replace it as it is known to give out when you really need it most.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the wires are probably for the TEMS that you dont have. dont worryh about it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, cool. Is that cap a coolant line? I'll check it closer for cracks or whatever...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes, that is capping the hard coolant line that runs around the block. It is a good idea to change it if it feels spongy and you have alot of miles. Once that gives your pretty much dead whereever you are at the time because it will eject all your coolant.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
why the hell is that line capped... i've always wondered that.... if its capped on everyone elses, why is it there?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The capped off water pipe most likely means the engine is JDM. RHD supras have the plumbing for the heater core reversed and they have the coolant return line from the heater core on our pass. side, thats why its capped off. What the previous owner most likely did was drill a hole in the same coolant pipe on the driver's side and routed the coolant return there.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
I don't think that's the case... my dad's turbo has it (stock engine) mine has it( I would THINK stock engine, who the hell knows though) and my buddies turbo had it... proally stock engine

·
Registered
362 Posts
i got a jdm motor too but i put the us coolant line on it so everything goes back on the same way

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
rhd is exactly the same as urs.... we're capped off too :) i would think your coolant lines would be in the exact same place considering your bodies are identical to ours... just got backwards steering racks and columns :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
don't tems usually have some type of cap on the shock tower which i don't see, those are definitely the tems wires

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
i would assume that this is one of the body harnesses that came with the optional tems harness... just his car doesn't have the shocks & controllers

·
Registered
68 Posts
suprra girl, Is yours capped on the same side though? I knew that you'd have a cap, I just thought that they were on the opposite side of the block on RHD...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the tems wires on non-tems cars are supposed to be folded back and taped to the stock harness that comes thru the fender wall. someone peeld off the tape or something and pulled them out

there are 2 of those nipples on the 7Ms, sometimes there is a rubber cap on the turbo side of the motor and a metal cap that is pressed or friction welded on the other side of the line. but depending on year of the motor, the orientation is reversed w/ the rubber on the intake side of the motor and metal cap on the turbo side of the motor. ive seen them in both ways before.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
well i can't quite tell from that pic at the top.. anyone got a clearer pic of the back of their engine & firewall so i can compare :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I know that my engine is not stock, and it's <<supposedly>> a JDM, but who the heck knows with the punk that I got it from... All I know is that the motor has definitely been out before (reference goofy stuff like the residual TEMS wires being exposed...). Still, it seems weird that with the RHD supras having the same thing, that it would be there at all...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts