Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but all i got was a ton of info on the 2jz motor. Im thinking of going with the 264/264 HKS cams since they keep the power down low as where the 272/272 move the power to high for are motors. Also I was wondering what the benefits of a 272/264 or the 264/272 cam combo was?

·
Banned
280 Posts
mattsmall said:
I searched but all i got was a ton of info on the 2jz motor. Im thinking of going with the 264/264 HKS cams since they keep the power down low as where the 272/272 move the power to high for are motors. Also I was wondering what the benefits of a 272/264 or the 264/272 cam combo was?

That will depend on you power goals, Please list what you goals are and I can give my opinion.

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

It's the same as with turbo sizing, or anything else for that matter. There is no 'right' cam, just like there is no 'right' turbo. You can find one well suited for your HP and powerband goals but there's no 'right' cam for the 1JZ.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
if anything a 272 cam would better suited for "most" single 1j set ups due to our ability to rev high.

~scott

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
As like any small displacement high revving motor (n/a or f/I) a higher duration cam is allways better for top end power. More lift would be a "plus" but you must accurately measure what your limit may be with the given components either stock or aftermarket that you have.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im thinking something around a 50 trim turbo not really aiming for high numbers but 450ish would be nice.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What RPM are you looking to turn the motor? Are you going to be doing any other changes other than adding on the turbo kit? A 264/272 setup sounds to me a bit much for what you're shooting for. I'd suggest at the most HKS adv. duration 256 EX / 264 IN staggered could be right.
But w/o knowing a little more about your car such as, is it auto or manual, what kinda of converter/clutch you have or will be planning to use. What your use for the car will be?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car is auto with i belive a 2800 converter. im not planing on going over the factory rev limit. i would like a nice mild powerband not something thats all top end or all low end power. i still belive the 264/264 is the best bet if anything ill just get the 272 later on

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
264 is where its at i would say..

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
i go for that mid range id vote for 256exh / 264 like fstlane88 said if u want mid range.

~scott

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Wether or not you choose to belive me, ppl like Duttwieler, Steve Petty (Hint: Tim Lynch) and others in the outlaw 10.5 world have proven that with a smaller EX Valve duration w/ slighlty less lift, keeps the velocity up in the turbine wheel in relation to housing size. In laymens terms, for the mid range you're looking for that smaller duration and veloctiy upping setup to keep you're powerband within stock Rev limit w/ an auto. But still having a usable broad poweband.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts