Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7M Fanatic
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time finding info on what thickness of CF sheet to use for a belly pan.
Anyone done one ?

I would hate to have it blow off at 175 mph, the way I seen a Sibon CF hood do,
but don't want to have something that weighs a ton either.

I know that the more mount points there are, the better the support, so maybe the thinner the material that can be used.
And I have also found CF angle that could be bonded on top of the belly pan to add some rigidity where clearance allows.

Never fooled with stuff before.....

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I'm no sme, but i think the greatest strength-per-thickness is achieved using a sandwich construction of carbon fiber sheet over an aluminum honeycomb core. It probably only needs to be about 1/4" thick, and it would be quite light.

·
7M Fanatic
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, quite light, and ridged, but.....
About the most expensive way to go, short of a one piece custom molded belly pan.
And the stiffness may cause problems when the unibody flexes, by over stressing the attachment points.
I don't have a full cage in this car.

So I am really shooting for a single layer setup.

Have found a guy selling sheets of single layer CF backed with fiberglass, but that adds weight, but little in strength.
FiveStar also has a flexible CF sheet in .040", and .060" thickness. The .060" has CF both sides, sandwiching an inner layer of 'glass.
All of these are about $400-450 per 4x8 sheet, which is less than half the cost of 100% CF, that is ridged.

I am not going the SCCA/Time Attack home-brew guy's route of plywood (I'm not kidding) or PVC.

·
Boost Junkie
12,378 Posts
SRD Tuning makes some nice aluminum ones that will dent vs. carbon that may shatter. I'm running them on my car, and they aren't much heavier than the stock plastic stuff.

Steve

·
7M Fanatic
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
But I was trying to stay away from the aluminum route after seeing cars with them having an off course excursion, and trying to get back to the pits with a half a sheet of tangled sheet metal dragging under the car.
Maybe I'm worrying too much, as I don't know how the attached theirs, or what gauge sheet they were using.

Any idea what thickness yours is ?

·
A.K.A. Knight Rider
528 Posts
Silly question but short of the sound what would better if it was wood or PVC? The components that will be damaged by going off road like that aren't going to be much different if you go thin enough sheet aluminum. If you want to protect the rest of the components you would be better off making it multiple pieces (similar to how SRD did theirs) so that way there are break points where the hardware fails first then the sheets just slip over each other.

Just my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts