Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get emissed again today, I put the cat back on, but that didnt help, and failed two of the three. What can I do to pass next time?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Im in the same boat as you. The first time my car failed with 3x more than its allowed across the board. I did some work on my car and I tried again and its getting better, here are some things that I have done that made it better. Put in some new plugs if they are old, change the oil and put in some Lucas, Injector cleaner and buy a qt. of gasline antifreeze and put it in. I tested my cat and fount it to be defective, after I change it I think it should pass.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I failed the carbon monoxide and Hydrocarbons but passed the NO test barely. Im not sure how bad this is but failed the hydrocarbons with a 3.4 and the allowed is .8, and failed the carbon monoxide with 75 and the allow is 15. I passed the NO test with a 1.9 and allowed is 2.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
if your cat (both) is installed and was hot, you proably have a bad o2 .... oh, and did oyu do the AFM mod? if so, turn it back, reset the ECU and drive for a little while, make sure the cat is nice and hot when you take it there and you'll probably make it

also make sure your ignition timing is right

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the AFM mod? you mean where you open it up and move the spring back on that gear thing?

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
hoser813 said:
I failed the carbon monoxide and Hydrocarbons but passed the NO test barely. Im not sure how bad this is but failed the hydrocarbons with a 3.4 and the allowed is .8, and failed the carbon monoxide with 75 and the allow is 15. I passed the NO test with a 1.9 and allowed is 2.
Run rich much? :p

I'm pretty sure Hydrocarbons is unburnt gas anyways.

I'm wondering how well I'm gonna do with emissions now.......:(

·
Registered
963 Posts
just had to replace my EGR valve about 4 months ago to pass...it sucked...it's like on the firewall and super hard to get to, but it passed after that. Man I fail like everytime then fix somethin to make it pass it's about time I pass without doin anything cuz pretty much everything is new so bye...

·
(GRAVEDIGGER) 3.3L Supra
614 Posts
The easiest way to pass ANY emissions is to open the exhaust up right at the convertor. Make sure there is at least a 1 1/2in gap or more. This will let most of the gases exit before it hits the EPA sensor at your tail pipe. At least this has worked for me all 3 times on all 3 supra's here in Ohio.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
wait, would the computer even know if you unplugged an injector?

If not, the extra air in the exhaust would further allow combustion of emmisions once out the exhaust port. Thats why some engines have air pumps.

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
Hell why not unplug 2 or 3 or 4 of them, with one of your cylinders not burning correctly would that not make your engine run very rough?

my advice is to find a dirty mechanic and have him pass it for you. thats how mine was done we hooked the sensors to my engine then the EPA to the tail pipe of a grand am, I came out with great numbers!

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
nah its just a bunch of random parts i bought ..... like all my fuel components, Intercooler, muffler, and in front my you can see my Front Facing intake mani that JDMfantasy made,

i have never seen a techedge kit before.... be sure to post pics when you get it!

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
Bugwugger said:
The easiest way to pass ANY emissions is to open the exhaust up right at the convertor. Make sure there is at least a 1 1/2in gap or more. This will let most of the gases exit before it hits the EPA sensor at your tail pipe. At least this has worked for me all 3 times on all 3 supra's here in Ohio.

lol thats a good idea:D

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bugwugger said:
So just make an giant exhaust leak? Before or after the cat? Ill go try that....

Originally posted by SupraDreamer44
my advice is to find a dirty mechanic and have him pass it for you. thats how mine was done we hooked the sensors to my engine then the EPA to the tail pipe of a grand am, I came out with great numbers!
There arnt very many techs like that working at emissions stations. I did, however, have him do the safety inspection, and that was good because my windows are too dark.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
Why rig it and try to be sneaky about it. Just fix it. Getting your car to pass emissions will fix whatevers wrong with it. As a result, you'll get better gas milage and more power. Ad to that you won't be breaking the law and you'll be helping you kids and grandkida to breathe better in coming years. What's the bennifit to breaking things more in order to make it look like it's not broke in the first palce? Sometimes I just don;t get how you people even come up with these ideas.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Larry_A said:
Your car is a POS & you are a moron. Good combo.
And you're a douche bag. I was just asking if the tricks people have suggested actually work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts