Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've lurked supraforums for about a year and never posted. I am going to pick up an 87 supra turbo wednesday and I was wondering what modifications I should do first? I did a search and found nothing so if you want to just give me the key words you found someting under, cool. I have some money to spend but no more then 4 grand as of now. If you give me an idea for what to do, please give me a brand you'd suggest and how hard of an install it was, and price too would be good. I was looking around for a while and figured I should get an exhast, intake, and boost controller first? Does this sound like a good start? From what point should I start the exhaust from (I might get a bigger turbo at some point if that matters)? Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Before you modify your car, make sure it's in good mechanical condition. I.E. Head gasket, compression, brakes and suspension, tires etc. After you're SURE it's in proper mechanical order, intake, exhaust and a boost controller sound like a great idea.

G

·
Before modifiying your car try and get accustomed to it. Ask anybody on this forum it can be a real monster when modified . For the first modifications I would seriously go with a suspension upgrade and some rims. Just remeber to take care of her :D good luck.

-Dino

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Start with a compression test so you know where you can start. If you have good compression then...

Change all fluids, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, tires (if needed), brakes (if needed), then you can go intake, exhaust, and boost controller.

Lightweight rims would also be good to start.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Head gasket first with ARP's

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cars compression is perfect. It has 85000 miles and is very strong. Question, would you guys recommend a MBC or EBC, I'm really looking for something that is easy to install so would a EBC be a lot harder? What down pipe would you suggest? That link that was posted was very helpful, thanks. Also why a new head gasket?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
from the factory they only torqued down the HG to about 56 ft. lbs. when they were suppose to be 76. they blow on these cars thats why everyone replaces them.
www.shox.com ------------------for some struts
www.paradiseracing.com ------for a commetic HG
www.bicperformance.com -----for some dowpipes.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
Toph said:
The cars compression is perfect. It has 85000 miles and is very strong. Question, would you guys recommend a MBC or EBC, I'm really looking for something that is easy to install so would a EBC be a lot harder? What down pipe would you suggest? That link that was posted was very helpful, thanks. Also why a new head gasket?
Do you know the history of the headgasket on the car?? Is it the original? If no then when it was replaced? what was it torqued down to?? There is nothing wrong with the stock head gasket if it is torqued to 72lbs. If the compression is good then I would leave it alone, if your not aiming for loads of power a full 3" exhaust with elbow, decent air filter and MBC set to 10 lbs will have you at 260 - 270 rwhp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts