Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a used IS300 for my sister. We won't be modding it. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as changes or a specific year to stay away from when buying. We'll prob. buy a higher mileage one in auto, but she can drive a standard if that auto trannies have an issue? How much should I pay for one in good shape w/ 50-80k miles?
 

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
Joined
·
959 Posts
A lexus tranny with issues ... now thats news.
 

·
98 RSP TT
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
supra4me said:
I'm looking for a used IS300 for my sister. We won't be modding it. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as changes or a specific year to stay away from when buying. We'll prob. buy a higher mileage one in auto, but she can drive a standard if that auto trannies have an issue? How much should I pay for one in good shape w/ 50-80k miles?
FAKE FAN.
 
Joined
·
8,181 Posts
there are no problems as an owner of two IS300's. actually one of my friend wasted $2000 for extended warranty. let me tell you bro those things dont break if you dont abuse it. i kept mines stock since i needed for my wife. as far as price i sold my 5speed with 40k for $20000 to a friend a year ago. i had an sc300 during this period. so the same friend bought my sc300 for his brother and i just recently have purchased an A/T IS300 with 70+k for 16000 from a friend.

TRY TO BUY FORM AN INDIVIDUAL OWNER. CAR LOTS WANTS TO MUCH FOR IT. GET IT CHECKED FROM A LEXUS DEALERSHIP AROUND $70.

GOODLUCK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
on your typical is300, i'd look for 4 wheels, 4 doors, and an engine among other things. AVOID THOSE CARS THAT DO NOT HAVE ENGINES. they do not move under their own power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
attie4 said:
there are no problems as an owner of two IS300's. actually one of my friend wasted $2000 for extended warranty. let me tell you bro those things dont break if you dont abuse it. i kept mines stock since i needed for my wife. as far as price i sold my 5speed with 40k for $20000 to a friend a year ago. i had an sc300 during this period. so the same friend bought my sc300 for his brother and i just recently have purchased an A/T IS300 with 70+k for 16000 from a friend.

TRY TO BUY FORM AN INDIVIDUAL OWNER. CAR LOTS WANTS TO MUCH FOR IT. GET IT CHECKED FROM A LEXUS DEALERSHIP AROUND $70.

GOODLUCK.
Great info, I had a 93 NA 5spd that was kept stock for 93k miles. I bought it, put a t61 on w/ 10psi and drove it to 133k miles w/ absolutely no problems. I was hoping the IS300 kept the same reliability as the NA supe. Just wanted to check and see if there are any preffered years and why.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
My mother bought one new in 01 and still has it. It now has around 78K miles and it has been flawless the entire time. I've heard people complain about the tranny but I've been rough on the e-shift and it has never given any problems. One thing was fixed under warranty, some plastic pc under the car, it was no big deal. Not sure what you'll pay, do some searching.

PS I think I've also heard peopel complain abotu the rotors. We just had the rotors replaced at 72K miles. In the AZ heat they were fine, never had a problem with them, even while being quite hard on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
Just sold a 2002 Is300 L-Tuned edition 5 speed with every option and 76k miles for $18,000. The prices have come down alot since the new IS came out. 2001s had problems with the indash cd changer jamming. Also (if it matters to you) the 01s did not have a center arm rest and only 1 cupholder.
As far as mechanical problems: test drive and listen for strut noises which is common and expensive, also look for tire wear (alignment issues) and Is300s have vin numbers on every panel including doors, door jams, trunk.

Mostly those cars are very reliable and have very few problems.

Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info guys. I don't think my sis will mind the cupholer thing, so an '01 will be fine prob. 18k is very reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
If you're looking at autos closer to 80K miles I'd be looking in the mid-teens.

My friend sold a VERY rare colored IS300 about a year ago. 80K miles, auto, car drove and looked brand new. Only got about 16K for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
The 01's underbody panel was really weak. This was fixed in 02. The 01's have 2 cupholders they just changed the insert in 03 which you can buy for 25 bucks. The armrest is a nice thing to have but wasnt a big deal for me. Really there is no common problems you should look for that I am aware of. Try to buy from a private person and you can find out the vehicles history and check for all vin tags.

I bought a 01 is300 in december for $17000 with 54k miles loaded it even had lsd.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
As far as the cup holder comment, there is only one cup holder up front (not sure abotu the back seat area) but it does hold two cups. And I forgot about this but she just recently finally had the in dash cd cahnger go out on her at around 75K miles. It was replaced under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the cd changer mine works, but I have sirius so I dont ever use it. I do know mine has been replaced at the dealership under warranty in the past.

GSXXXguy- Tell her to get the 2003 cupholder piece. It fits in the middle of the space and securly holds 2 drinks. Sounds like she is missing inferior piece the 01's were supposed to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Hey, is there a good IS300 forums on the net? I am looking for a daily driver. In Canada a 2002 with around 91,000km can be had for below $20,000 CAD. Not sure what trim level but certainly no LSD on it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
trdsolara said:
......

GSXXXguy- Tell her to get the 2003 cupholder piece. It fits in the middle of the space and securly holds 2 drinks. Sounds like she is missing inferior piece the 01's were supposed to have.
The piece came with the car, its just an insert.
 

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
20k in good condition, 23ish in excellent condition. These are great cars but they aren't worth the cost for more than that. Elsewhere in the world Altezzas have much worse resale than in America. The miles don't really matter as long as a high mileage car is not worn, just pocket the savings and get an older model.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
20k in good condition, 23ish in excellent condition. These are great cars but they aren't worth the cost for more than that. Elsewhere in the world Altezzas have much worse resale than in America.
Thats great, we live in north america, not "elsewhere".

The miles don't really matter as long as a high mileage car is not worn, just pocket the savings and get an older model.
Speak for yourself, thats an opinion. To me miles are important and a couple thousand more for a car with less wear and tear isn't that big a deal.
 

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
Thats great, we live in north america, not "elsewhere".



Speak for yourself, thats an opinion. To me miles are important and a couple thousand more for a car with less wear and tear isn't that big a deal.
The IS was already a dated car when it released in America. It's not worth it's cost, period. The ES and RX both have better resale values. Your's is an opinion as well, only you validated my own opinion if you can read clearly.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top