Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here and am commencing my hunt for the right Supra (6-speed, color doesn't matter). I was just wondering what the differences were between the different years and which years (if any) are more desireable than others. If anyone could give me info, I'd appreciate it.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
medici78 said:
I'm a newbie here and am commencing my hunt for the right Supra (6-speed, color doesn't matter). I was just wondering what the differences were between the different years and which years (if any) are more desireable than others. If anyone could give me info, I'd appreciate it.
Go read www.mkiv.com

It's all there IIRC.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew someone would say to look at mkiv.com. However, it seems this site is down and has been down for awhile (at least a couple of weeks).

·
1,522 Posts
If you can find a low milage 94-95, I would go with one of those years. Toyota cut a few corners on the 96-98 supras to cut down the saleprice and hopefully sell more......but it didn't work.

T

·
0 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Mine! It's the only year of the 1995 Supra TT hardtop! ;)

Steve T.
1995 Supra TT hardtop
only year of the 1995 hardtop TT. AMAZING!!!! :p :D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That statement isn't true.. The 97-98 got better steering wheels, chrome wheels, lights are a little different, the OBDII computer, and a softer stock suspension, other than that no real differences. They just figured 50K was too much for most people to spend and dropped the price. I believe the older models also had holes in the seats for 5 point harnesses..?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, folks! Like boostedsupratt, I have also heard that they "cut corners" on the last couple of years. Could someone shed more light on this? Also, does the fact that the others have OBDII affect tunability?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quick, I've been trying that, but it didn't work. Before it was unavailable, now it asks for a password. :confused:

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
medici78 said:
quick, I've been trying that, but it didn't work. Before it was unavailable, now it asks for a password. :confused:
Looks like someone needs to take a WebRipper to www.mkiv.com next time it's up and cache it somewhere. What a pain.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
medici78 said:
Thanks for the replies, folks! Like boostedsupratt, I have also heard that they "cut corners" on the last couple of years. Could someone shed more light on this? Also, does the fact that the others have OBDII affect tunability?
OBD2 doesn't really effect tunability, it just trips an error code if you remove the cats.

The 97+s have longer shifters (not really any cheaper, but they suck IMO), softer springs and shocks (again, worse than previous years, but it might be something you will upgrade anyways), different speakers and head unit, intregrated trac system (so its not in the way of changing the oil filter), and a much more scratch-resistant dash. The auto 97+s had the torsen LSD only as an option. There are no real mechanical changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts