Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slow morning and I was just thinking to myself....

What will the next big thing be in engine management? This is not a AEM vs Motec vs whatever, but a "how it does it" for management.

For example, wide bands triming fuel on the fly. That was a good one.

Will it be real time timing? Say a sensor to take cylinder pressure, a sensor to sample octane, and a target table to keep timing with in X % of max cylinder pressure?

any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Ion sensing

i think the ONLY ECU that does that besides a lot of stock ecu are the Motronic (aka Bosch) 1.xx series and 2.xx series. That is the ideal way of knock sensing :)

basic premise

Ionized gases change the resistance which is measureable. Before detontaion happen the ionization will happen prior to that event and the ecu can sense it and ATTEMPT at preventing it.

No other ECU besides Bosch that I know off offer this.

DBW (Drive by wire support) will become more prevalant. The problem is that it will not and will probably never be a DYI thing. Way to many things to go wrong to kill yourself if the throttle stuck open or partly open.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well i think when the next big leap in aftermarket turbo's is made.....akin to BB turbos, then EMS's will have to be able to accomodate them....and if Porsche (997) and Honda's (RDX) efforts at variable turbo technology are any indication...it will be a must. EMS controlled turbos :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
figgie said:
Ion sensing

i think the ONLY ECU that does that besides a lot of stock ecu are the Motronic (aka Bosch) 1.xx series and 2.xx series. That is the ideal way of knock sensing :)

basic premise

Ionized gases change the resistance which is measureable. Before detontaion happen the ionization will happen prior to that event and the ecu can sense it and ATTEMPT at preventing it.

No other ECU besides Bosch that I know off offer this.

DBW (Drive by wire support) will become more prevalant. The problem is that it will not and will probably never be a DYI thing. Way to many things to go wrong to kill yourself if the throttle stuck open or partly open.
dammit that is what I was going to say. After hanging around the MS site for awhile you find out that those guys are on the cutting edge of engine management. DIY'ers always seem to do things first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've read in an other forum that autronic is working on the sm5.
It uses ion sensing and will do auto fuel and auto ignition ...

I'm waiting ... if that piece gets to the open market :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
Slow morning and I was just thinking to myself....

What will the next big thing be in engine management? This is not a AEM vs Motec vs whatever, but a "how it does it" for management.

For example, wide bands triming fuel on the fly. That was a good one.

Will it be real time timing? Say a sensor to take cylinder pressure, a sensor to sample octane, and a target table to keep timing with in X % of max cylinder pressure?

any other ideas?

Electrolysis controled reaction to create Hydrogen fuel so we can run our engines off 1L of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts