Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to classing limitations.... fuel system/engine management and turbo is open... but boost needs to be limited to 15psi.

What config would provide the most power and broadest power curve?

-mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm inclined to guess that the stock turbos are your best bet. Maybe a single much smaller than is typically put on a supra. I think that any of the turbos that make serious power (at 15 psi) would be way to laggy for a race car like you are talking about.
At least with the stock or small single you would make boost soon even if you don't make that much power.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
sp57 get it now !;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my experience the PHR stage 2 in my old auto was a kick a$$ turbo. Don't know how much power you're be putting down at 15 psi but it does come on fast and strong. I'm planning to try the SP63 with a .68 housing in my 6 speed this spring. I like the idea of operating the turbo in it's efficiency range. I don't know how to read the maps and all, but I try to use common sense and other people's experiences when possible. Steve Jarvis is a good example. He did exactly what I want to do as far as numbers at what I consider a reasonable/usable boost/power.

But to get back to your question, I would recommend the SP63 with one of the smaller a/r's.

Melvin

·
3,148 Posts
I know you could run an SP63 .68 at 15psi with the stock MAF and make over 400rwhp (probably closer to 420rwhp) at 15psi with the same amount of lag as stock twins in TTC (as observed on my dyno chart). I have also autocrossed my Supra in sequential and TTC modes and my times were the same. Also keep in mind that if your roadracing, you will want the turbo with the bigger shaft and bearings that come in the SP63 but not on the SP60 or smaller. I use my car about 3 times a year at drivers schools.

Later, Steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve Jarvis said:
I know you could run an SP63 .68 at 15psi with the stock MAF and make over 400rwhp (probably closer to 420rwhp) at 15psi with the same amount of lag as stock twins in TTC (as observed on my dyno chart). I have also autocrossed my Supra in sequential and TTC modes and my times were the same. Also keep in mind that if your roadracing, you will want the turbo with the bigger shaft and bearings that come in the SP63 but not on the SP60 or smaller. I use my car about 3 times a year at drivers schools.

Later, Steve
Good info, thanks guys.

Steve, is that the same amount of lag with stock turbos in TTC with 18psi or stock boost?

I agree with your suggestion about the 63 VS 60 because of the better components. The main reason for even going single when limited to 15psi is effeciency, and better heat/cooling, and hopefully atleast get into BPU power range.

Do you think there would be any advantage going with a fuel system at 15psi? Or would it be a waste?

With that turbo setup it would be nice because i could remove the electronic boost controller and limit to 15psi at the wastegate for this specific series, then throw back on the boost controller and run 20+ psi for local club races, if i have a fuel system.

-mike

·
3,148 Posts
The boost response is the same as TTC regardless of boost When I say the response is the same I mean that they build boost at the same rate. I would replace the fuel pulsation dampener (I am currently doing this), but I would not upgrade the fuel system until your exceeding 470rwhp (this is where your injectors will be at 85%). I would then upgrade injectors if I planned on running 20psi (I still don't think you need the pump or lines at this point). The only time I would upgrade the lines and pump is if I were to exceed 550rwhp.

Later, Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts