Supra Forums banner

What would you do

954 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SavageSlav 
#1 ·
So I pulled the 7mgte out of the white supra...thought the worst would be a seized piston.. .seems like I have a nice observation hole in the block haha...the black 88 has a running albeit Smokey 7mge. What would you guys do? Na-t with the good block? 1j 2j? What do you think is most effective way to go to have a turbo weekend warrior? Vehicle Car Mid-size car Room Automotive wheel system
Light Water Close-up Sky Hand

See less See more
#3 ·
If you have good fuel and ECU setup, there is nothing wrong with a nice 7M GTE build. As long as you have a good block and head I would build that. It also depends on your power goals too but for the most part a 7M can be just as good as a 2J NA-T (aside from displacement of course)
I do love a VVTI 1J though. Just costs money for the VVTI JZ engine builds:/

#7 ·
My initial plan before I found out the block was aerated as to go forged internals and stock rebuild rest of the way...so I have room to improve. Could I still implement that with the GE block going na-t or am I just wasting my time in another grenade?

#11 ·
I've blown up 7m's three times personally. Have yet to hurt my 1j, and I've beat on it mercilessly for years. Also have put a lot more miles on it.

Biggest point though, what are you wanting to do with the car? I wanted to road race mine, so the JZ made a lot of sense. If you're just looking for a fun cruiser with some grunt, nothing wrong with a sorted 7m, they sound fantastic. Just be sure to know and understand their limitations.

Reactions: Wreckless
#13 ·
2JZ-GTE VVTi allllll day.

Time to step out of the stone age and into the bronze age. :)
I hear that wheels got a lot more well rounded in the bronze age...

In seriousness, my original intent in 2008 after blowing my last 7m, was to go for a 2jz vvti. I'd definitely go this route if I were doing my car today. I don't regret my 1j, but it has some unique characteristics that are occasionally less than ideal. Hence... I continue to tinker. I think the next iteration of my car will be a hoot and a half.

#14 ·
So I went and found a 7Mgte block. Came with a crank...rods and pistons and some ARP studs...probably going to take apart the new block to the core and bring it in with the crank to have it hot tanked a nice hone. Got some work to do before that. Thinking I should bring in the head off the blown block at the same time...hopefully no surprise when I take the head off LOL...considering the rod is sitting sideways in the old block I'm crossing my fingers that piston didn't try to get blown through the universe and ruin the head...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.