Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Yeah, they are commonly known as CVT's nowadays, and are already sold in several cars, with more to come soon.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
Check out the Yamaha Grizzly.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Lets see, saturn Ions have em I think, they had a TSB where they tell the computer to fake shifting because of customer complaints.
Also the Hybrids made by Toyota use it...

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
raven97990 said:
Also the Hybrids made by Toyota use it...
Actually *some* hybrid Toyotas accomplish CVT via planatery gear sets.

There are of course belt/pulley CVTs as well as magneto-hydrodynamic varieties.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but is it anything amazing? Why use it? For the sake of not feeling a lurch at all? Is that it? Is it any faster at accelerating? Slower? Easier to maintain? Fix?

I guess if it was that good, everyone would be using it? :ugh2:

·
Registered
934 Posts
so i guess u can still see the revs going up and down as usual as u accelerate.....u just cant 'feel' it between shifts, right?

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
STAGED said:
Actually *some* hybrid Toyotas accomplish CVT via planatery gear sets.

There are of course belt/pulley CVTs as well as magneto-hydrodynamic varieties.

Actually all Toyota Hybrids accomplish CVT via a SINGLE planatery gearset... Unless you refer to a 4WD highlander which has a electric motor attached to the rear diffrential. What else do you want to know? And in what depth? The voltage of each battery cell of the new camry hybrid?

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
Well I'm talking about actual *Gearless* transmissions....No 1-4, 1-5, period.
yes, i am talking about the CVT. they don't have the gears like auto transmisson. but they do have other gears to control the drive-gears/pullys's position.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
Well, my buddy's Yamaha Grizzly has it (yes, it is a four wheeler... not a car but). It has a high and low setting at it is fast at accelerating because it never shifts and because the rpm's always stay in the best part of the power band, plus it is nice for decelerating too.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
Yes, but is it anything amazing? Why use it? For the sake of not feeling a lurch at all? Is that it? Is it any faster at accelerating? Slower? Easier to maintain? Fix?

I guess if it was that good, everyone would be using it? :ugh2:
In theory a perfect CVT would allow you to have a performance advantage. You would be able to operate the engine within a very narrow rpm band since your transmission is infinitely variable. This means you could tune an engine for performance (power, or mileage) in a narrow band and apply that advantage in all driving conditions. Basically you wouldn't have to worry about loosing your low end driving for top end performance or vice versa.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ubermensch said:
In theory a perfect CVT would allow you to have a performance advantage. You would be able to operate the engine within a very narrow rpm band since your transmission is infinitely variable. This means you could tune an engine for performance (power, or mileage) in a narrow band and apply that advantage in all driving conditions. Basically you wouldn't have to worry about loosing your low end driving for top end performance or vice versa.
Exactly! Which is why I thought this was going to be a HUGE improvement and quickly take the place of conventional transmissions....but.... :ugh2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts