Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory oem clutch is not strong enough for the power.

I'd like to keep it under $800 but I know it may not be feasible. I need one that can withstand the power. It's a daily driver and not for the track.

I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat. What brand of clutch and what website did you purchase it from?

450wrhp with W58 in it

·
Registered
23 Posts
I picked up a Spec Stage 3+ for my V161 that was quite well priced. Obviously it won't be nearly as good as your RPS Triples etc. but for the cost, I thought I'd at least give it a go. Especially after reading mostly positive reviews (on the 3+ at least)

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,875 Posts
I highly recommend South Bend clutches, even for a W58. You can look up MVP to purchase one. Extremely OEM friendly with clamping power. You might also be able to snag one for a about half your budget price.

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
I highly recommend South Bend clutches, even for a W58. You can look up MVP to purchase one. Extremely OEM friendly with clamping power. You might also be able to snag one for a about half your budget price.
^ This, absolutely this.

South Bend's 'Stage 3 Endurance' version is absolutely fantasatic, V160, R154, or W58. Best bet for a single disc. They offer a lot of different compounds and configurations, it's the one with the 'TZ' in it.
With the W58 and R154 versions, though, I recommend the damped version which has the sprung hub clutch disc. Unsprung hubs with solid flywheels (like the stock flywheels for the W58 or R154) are not very much fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally, I ran a South Bend Daily Stage 2 on my MK5 and LOVED it. Put a healthy amount of miles on it and never had any issues with it. Very positive experience with it. This is not to say they are perfect products, however when dealing with it I had a phenomenal time.
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
140 Posts
Southbend stage 3 endurance all the way. Last clutch you will even need for a street car. I’m v160 making 750whp with drag radials and the clutch has been flawless.
Wow.. that is impressive for a single disc.
How is the pedal clutch force to disengage?

I've got the Spec stage 2 with a friction disc that looks almost identical to this one. Usually grabs quite good, but feel like sometimes there is a slight slip. Very street-able though, it will make cruising around easy feel enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Pedal pressure imo is perfect. Not hard but not so soft you don’t have any feedback. I have a oem flywheel also. Not clutch shudder at all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If thinking of going with a South Bend you may want to purchase one now. According to MVP, Southbend notified them that the supplier for their pressure plates will no longer be producing them.

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
Buddy of mine runs a Spec Stage 3+ in his NA-T car with a W58. Car made around 410 whp/380 tq and it drives great! Pretty close to stock pedal feel, but the clamping power is nuts. I think those clutches are rated for like 430 ft/lb and they're very affordable (5-600) depending on where you buy. Check out summit racing, here's the PN - ST853F

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,073 Posts
just another data point, I used a Competiton Clutch sprung 6 puck in conjunction with their lightweight flywheel when I still had my W58. No chatter, pedal pressure was only slightly above stock, and it held 400-450ish just fine. Though, it was nearly completely worn after about 2 years and audibly squeaked occasionally when slipped. If I stayed W58 I would have replaced it with the same one and continued....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts