Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for RHD MK4 Supras being imported. My end goal is a Single Turbo 6MT Supra. What's the best Supra to buy while considering prices? Buy cheaper and build, or wait to buy an original TT 6MT Supra? Any input is valuable! Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The most cost effective option will always be to find the cleanest car you can with the mods you want, within your budget.
There's a sticky that shows rough estimates for labor & parts for an off the shelf single turbo build(search is your friend).
If you'll be doing all/most of the labor your self and time is of no concern, I would go with the cleanest RHD NA car you can find with minimal mods.
Avoid cars with the piggy back ecu modules. They WILL lead to many electrical nightmares/tuning issues down the line. Find a car with a quality standalone ecu & aftermarket harness or just stock ecu/no piggy backs. IMO that's the biggest headache when going single turbo.

Now whether you decide to fork over extra $$ for an original TT 6MT well depend on if you're concerned with the appreciation/resale.
Since you're set on going with a RHD car, I think resale should be less of a concern. I don't see RHD TT 6MTs greatly appreciating. Maybe 10% greater appreciation over an equivalently clean NA(if any). You have to consider how many more RHD TT cars are out there Vs LHD TT (don't quote me but there's something like 3x as many).

Also consider how you'll be using the car. If it's going to see abuse I think the extra $$ for the V160 & 220mm diff is worth the price of a 6MT car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I'm currently looking at a 1994 RHD NA 6MT Supra with 80k miles going for $35k. My plan is to have a clean, reliable build that could be a daily or atleast driven often enough. What would be a safe hp range to have the car in? What are some other information I need to know or take into consideration for such a Supra build plan? Thanks for all the help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very unusual to see a 1994 NA with a 6MT as that combo only became a factory option on the facelift JDM models (96 onwards). Are you sure it's a 6 speed and not a 5 speed instead?

If it's definitely a 94, NA, 6MT I would bet it's had some sort of swap? Either the engine or box looks to be non-factory and that could be huge for the value of the car as you could end up with a TT6 that's just been robbed of the engine for some reason.

·
handy with the steel
375 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm currently looking at a 1994 RHD NA 6MT Supra with 80k miles going for $35k. My plan is to have a clean, reliable build that could be a daily or atleast driven often enough. What would be a safe hp range to have the car in? What are some other information I need to know or take into consideration for such a Supra build plan? Thanks for all the help?
If your plan is to daily drive it, or reliability is one of your priorities, then the less you do to it, the better off you will be.

With that said, I would swap out the stock twins for a small single on a cast log manifold and a full exhaust - something like an HKS Dragger or Tanabe Touring will keep it reasonably quiet. Add a boost controller and set boost at about 16-18psi, or whatever your injectors will keep up with up to that point. Everything else keep stock (assuming it's in good working order). Should be able to make an easy mid-400 hp and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country.

·
From the land down under
3,811 Posts
Very unusual to see a 1994 NA with a 6MT as that combo only became a factory option on the facelift JDM models (96 onwards). Are you sure it's a 6 speed and not a 5 speed instead?

If it's definitely a 94, NA, 6MT I would bet it's had some sort of swap? Either the engine or box looks to be non-factory and that could be huge for the value of the car as you could end up with a TT6 that's just been robbed of the engine for some reason.
Agreed. It would be very unlikely to find a 94 with a Getrag box in it, without a GTE engine in front of it.

Do you have any photos of the underneath of the car, to help identify which box is in it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful. Some companies in Japan swap the 5 speed with a 6 speed out of the Altezza and just lable it as a 6 speed. Only the SZR model 96 year and up had the V161 on the NA motor.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Really? But the bell housing is different isnt it?
Idk man. I've seen it on a few auction sites. Usually it's an original auto car converted to manual. The list it as "6 speed" but if you read the ad closely, it says am F6 Altezza swap.

·
From the land down under
3,811 Posts
Thats very surprising to hear that more than one person has gone to the expense of manufacturing a bell housing to convert a gearbox that is known to be weak, to match up with the 2JZ block, when there is no shortage of W58 or R154 options around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats very surprising to hear that more than one person has gone to the expense of manufacturing a bell housing to convert a gearbox that is known to be weak, to match up with the 2JZ block, when there is no shortage of W58 or R154 options around.
Are you sure the bellhousing doesnt match up? Maybe with minimal modifications. Has to be a reason they're doing it.

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
Brotato got you squared away on the first post, for the most part.

The one thing I'd add, though, is that building the car you want is absolutely NOT cheaper than buying it. Sure, the cost of entry into an NA auto RHD car now is about the lowest rung and low 20k range, and that gets you in a Supra even if it's slow. That matters, because you're still driving the car you want. Getting all the TT 6spd stuff together is another $20k give or take, and it's a fairly laid out process to swap it all over but it's still a damn good chunk of work.

If it's at all possible, get a loan for $40k approved and buy a RHD TT 6-spd if there's any way you can swing it. It'll be the car you want right off the bat and you can enjoy it on stock twins or whatever while you're paying it off and getting it cleaned up, getting maintenance done, etc. Happy boosting miles are the whole damn point of it, no sense burying yourself in a years-long project before you get there to save a few grand. It's not worth it these days.
Once upon a time when LHD NA shells were $8k and Getrags were $2500, hell yes. But those days were gone by the time the first iPhone came out.

On 2JZ-Altezza 6-spd's. There's a couple of companies over the years that have made adapter plates for it. The J160 Altezza 6-spd has an integral bell housing like the V160 or CD009 so swapping it to a non 3S block involves an adapter plate no matter what you do.
They're about as strong as a W58 so they're not a good idea for anything over 350-400whp but that's all some people need, and J160's are cheap as hell compared to most other 5MT or 6MT boxes floating around out there. Using them in a swap is mostly a Japan and Europe thing, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
⬆Agreed
On 2nd thought. Since you know you'll be going single turbo, I think it's absolutely worth it to get a RHD TT 6spd.
The reliability that comes with the GTE bottom end, V160, & 220mm diff will save you alot of problems & headache down the road.

Converting a RHD NA car to single turbo COULD MAYBE be cheaper than doing a single turbo conversion on a TT(we're talking a few thousand at most).
But it won't have the reliability of the TT car, and would require alot more work to setup.

If you look hard enough, there's RHD TT 6spd single turbo converted cars on importer sites.
The problem is all of them are strung up on several piggy backs, or ancient standalone systems that aren't nearly as robust or bug-free compared with a modern standalone.
The electrical/wiring setup on these cars would be a total crapshoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts