Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well at 9 am I washed my engine yesterday as Bradman engine detail explains the only thing I covered was the intake. After drying it by hand and letting it run, I took it out for a hard run to completely dry the engine. Upon getting back home I noticed that the S-AFC moniter was displaying a 0.4% on the screen, which I thought was odd because after the car is warm it always displays 0.7%. Then my check engine light went on it was for the following:
P0130 heated oxygen mal.
P0133 heated oxygen senor slow response
P0401 egr flow insuff.
But the car was running good so i reset the codes w/OBDII scan tool.

Later that evening, I diconnected the battery hoping it would reset the codes and the ecu. After I reconnected the battery my car was running like shit, wanting to turn off. AFC was at 0.3-0.4% and the car was shaking, when I revved it to 2000 rpms, it would stop shaking. The same thing happened today. Its as though the engine want to rev at 600 but as it drops the car shakes and the revs go up. By the ways it a 97 6pd bpu w/avc-r and s-afc, 136xxx mile, stock twins, permanent TTC mode.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
not sure why your SAFC readings might be off, but the water may have messed up your spark plugs, i had the same problem after cleaning under the hood with a pressure washer, and it messed up the plugs.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
when keeping the battery disconnected for a while the ecu will have to "relearn" how to run properly. Crank the car and rev it to 1500 and let it sit there for a minute or 2...that should clear up the problem.

Jason

·
Registered
323 Posts
i was downtown, same thing happened to me, started losing power, trying to die on me, so I pulled over and shut it down.....played with my battery for a few seconds, then it ran totally fine...........Bunch of guys told me on here to clean my battery terminals and see if it helps, so I took it to toyota anyway and got my electrical system totally checked, everything was perfect, he put anti corrosion on my terminals and put them back on, and she's been perfectly fine since. I'm not promising thats the problem, but it's quite possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Check all that was mentioned...the battery terminals tight and clean...and it does take the ecu a little bit to relearn stuff, so that will cause idling/ running issues. Plugs maybe as mentioned. But for future reference....dont spray water into any engine bay. You are just asking for trouble. And many bolts, nuts etc get very oxidized and look like crap doing that. Let alone getting any electrical stuff wet. Simple green and a few hours and a few rags is all it takes :)

·
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I checked the plugs and the battery terminals, no luck. There was a little oil on the last three plugs due to the valve cover gaskets that need to be replaced. Thinking of taking it to the dealer to see what he can do. I took it out for a drive and it boosted as normal and ran good, but at stop signs it would shake and flutter between 780-580 revs with the AFC jumping from 0.8% to 0.4%. Prior my car acting funny the AFC % was 0.7 To be honset I dont even know what the percentage means?? Now what??? It suprises me that it still runs good though??

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Listen to this guy, he is correct! Been there done that.
when keeping the battery disconnected for a while the ecu will have to "relearn" how to run properly. Crank the car and rev it to 1500 and let it sit there for a minute or 2...that should clear up the problem.

Jason

·
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I found out what it was... It was a vacuum hose thats located on top of the intake...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
LOL

Love when ya find the prob huh ?

·
11,221 Posts
ECU has to relearn the fuel map after a reset. Just let it idle for a while and take it out on a little drive. It'll be good the next day.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
hey bro, im currently having the same problem on my 1998. Error code P0401 showed up. Can I ask which vacuum hose was it? Sorry too many hoses.
2007 thread bump. You may be on your own man.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hey bro, im currently having the same problem on my 1998. Error code P0401 showed up. Can I ask which vacuum hose was it? Sorry too many hoses.
don't be lazy and go check your hoses.

·
Very Senior Member
10,056 Posts
It's probably the one that's loose.
Did you wash your engine bay? Or do something else? Search for threads about "EGR valve". Top right in blue bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts