Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.hagen-racing.com/videos/Mike's%20Supra_hi.wmv

You can kind of hear it in the very beginning of the movie. Its a noise coming from the right rear, sounds like a tire or something but I can hear it at basically all speeds. It isnt constant either, it pulsates, pulsating quicker as i pick up speed. It obviously has something to do with my driveline but I can't pinpoint it.

Heres my assumptions

-Wheel bearing (did the checks, wheel doesnt wiggle AT ALL)
-bent axle
-some how messed up alignment?
-bent part of some other kind

I dont know and its annoying. Also, from the side the noise is coming from, that tire got very bald very quickly and the other one didnt? I also cant burn out or launch or anything, it does nothing but wheel hop (in fact, ive never done a burnout). Any help would be appreciated

-Mike

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
I couldn't really hear anything in the video, but wheel hop would suggest bad motor mounts wouldn't it?

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
bent wishbone (A-arm) is a huge possibility... it will throw off your alignment (balding), cause wheel hop (damaged suspension components) and cause pulsation (caused by excessive vibration from the damage)...

just to tell you, this is not something you can just "look at and tell." you have to take off both arms, grab a caliper and do some measurements (an a-square also helps)... but this is assuming that only one arm is bent

try it out... tell me the results cuz im curious to see (this was a diagnosis i did in autoshop not too long ago)

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
nice races... what turbo are you running?...

ive replaced two out of my four wheel bearings... when those go... it feels like your car is going sideways/unstable. I kept thinking it was the wind until i jacked up the car and was able to move my left rear tire almost 45 degrees...

Jack up the car, and move every wheel. That should give you a good indication on the wheel bearing

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys

I cant move the wheel at all.
I already replaced the upper a-arm because the old ones threads stripped.
Also there is no noticable vibrations.

-Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IT happened minutes before that video, the harness came unplugged, plugged it in and it worked again.

FYI, the noise was a wheel bearing

·
Registered
278 Posts
Which wheel? I think i am having the same problem but couldnt all the wheels were fine when i wiggle them. I even lift the rear and put the car to drive but nope, no vibration at all.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
same here, i had no movement at all when i inspected and all i cuold go by was what i heard in the car. I took my chances and it sure enough was my wheel bearing. No signs what so ever except the noise, it got worse as the weeks went by.

-Mike

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
You can usually narrow down a wheel bearing noise by swerving back and forth unloading one side of the car while listening for the noise to go away or get louder. Normally gets louder when you put the weight on the side with the bad bearing.

·
Greddy T78
393 Posts
I had about the same problem on my old car, i had a 3000GT Vr4.
And this strange sound was coming from 2 of my wheels houseing.

So i took it to Mitsubishi and they check it out, and stated that it was the
"Wheel bearing".

So i let them order new parts and take it apart and fix it.
But after it was done, the sounds was STILL THERE.
And they still charged me full for it, and didnt repay me in any way.

I was going crazy, so after asking like 10-15 difrent persons about it.
Somone told me it was the wheel(rim) so we took them all of and put some other wheels on it, and the sound was gone.
So the sound was coming from the wheel.

Try changing wheels ?
Sometimes it can be an easy resolve.
Hope it helps out.

Sorry for my poor English.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ulrik said:
I had about the same problem on my old car, i had a 3000GT Vr4.
And this strange sound was coming from 2 of my wheels houseing.

So i took it to Mitsubishi and they check it out, and stated that it was the
"Wheel bearing".

So i let them order new parts and take it apart and fix it.
But after it was done, the sounds was STILL THERE.
And they still charged me full for it, and didnt repay me in any way.

I was going crazy, so after asking like 10-15 difrent persons about it.
Somone told me it was the wheel(rim) so we took them all of and put some other wheels on it, and the sound was gone.
So the sound was coming from the wheel.

Try changing wheels ?
Sometimes it can be an easy resolve.
Hope it helps out.

Sorry for my poor English.
I would be pissed!

·
Registered
278 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
You can usually narrow down a wheel bearing noise by swerving back and forth unloading one side of the car while listening for the noise to go away or get louder. Normally gets louder when you put the weight on the side with the bad bearing.

Yeah i will try that and if not i will change all those damn bearings, all 4 of them...

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
One of my rear stocker rims was bent and it made a noise VERY similar to what you are describing.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts