Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i posted up here and my stock amp supposedly is blown but i reconnected it and it worked but i have this ringing sound now.the main reason for this posting is bc i want to upgrade my speakers and upgrade from the stock amp, but i want a very crisp sounding system.right now my speakers are sftermarket but its very distorted and no where near crisp.im also willing to upgrade my head unic from my kenwood cd player.any input on a stereo setup will be great.im just tired of having stereo problems i just want to redo it all again and do it right this time.

· Registered
11,198 Posts
id love to give you advice but so much goes into this, most importantly, budget. you should read through this section as many people have asked this exact same question and can be answered for you by reading through them. its kinda like 30 threads on turbos. id be glad to help you personally if you want. feel free to pm me.

· Slowly getting there
1,055 Posts
Find a high-end home audio shop near you. In your best polite voice let them know that although you will not be buying anything from them, you want to educate your ears as to what they consider to be "good" sound. Most places are happy to accomodate you, as long as you are willing to 1) not expect them to answer all of your questions (they have paying customers to attend to) and 2) will let them play their musical choices- this is their $100k equipment, not yours.

Once you get your ears attuned to this "reference" go out to your local car audio places, listen to what they offer, and always compare to the reference- not to each other, not to other stores, but always back to the reference. You want to be able to say with confidence- "I like how the Polk Momo set seemed crisper on the high end." "I thought the Infinity coaxials were pretty good even without a sub, although not as good as the reference".

Learn what good sound is first, from the best source possible, and then you will be smart enough to know what you really want given your budget.

Good luck dude.

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the thing thats trippin me out is my girl has a kia sorento and her stero system sounds so clean.its factory obviously and nothing crazy but its the kind of sound ill like nothing wild.i got some rockford p3's and they hit good to me.nothing crazy loud that you can hear it loud ass hell out side.inside the car it hits hard and the speakers just dont sound clean and clear the way id like it.i though since i put after market speakers 2ways in front and 3ways in the rear that it will sound the way i like but thats was not the case.

· Registered
6,153 Posts
We put some 2-ways in the wife's 94 and the sound is definitely not good. We changed the fronts to component speakers with separate tweeters and it's much better.

The best thing to do, is check out some other's systems and listen for what you like. Then replicate that, with any additional tips they give. You really don't need much, since the Supra's cabin is so small.

The one bit of advice I got from an audiophile friend, is to make the cabin as quiet as possible, using soundproofing materials (Dynamat-type stuff). He's been through alot of competitions and says that the best/winners have mostly been those who addressed "noise" in the cabin 1st.

Good luck.

· Registered
559 Posts
pm me about the set up your lookin to go with. Ill give any help or advice i can. I have had very many different systems in my supras and do SPL competitions and sound quality also.

Edit: I also prefer my bass loud and to hit hard as hell. My 6 Alpine 10" type R's in a sealed box did 148db in a SPL comp.

· Registered
11,198 Posts
wow 93na, thats an awesome result with those subs, i hit 146.8 on an Audio Control RTA with the IASCA disk in and i did it with 2 - 12" Image Dynamics IDQ's.
the IDQ's were known more for their lower bass response but better tonality but i loved them, they seemed to be the best all around sub for just about every type of music.

· New York Sports
10,451 Posts
I understand exactly what the OP is looking for and Im in the same situation. Im not yoo big on big speakers and lots of bass, I just want my shit to sound nice and clean and clear. I just I could find a system like my old '04 Range Rover used to have to put it in the sup.

· Boost Withdraws
366 Posts
re opening an old thread...

i know the TT have an amp under the passenger seat (if i'm reading correctly)
Can i replace with an aftermarket amp to push my stock speakers... What can our stock speakers in the TT handle without tearing the paper.

I know i should buy a speaker system for sound, I just want to be able to hear my speakers with the targa off without having the sound of the paper vibrating (paper being the thin part around the core of the speaker).

I'm saving up for my Twin kit which is why i haven't bought speakers.
With the amp im going to buy an indash as well if its worth my while to do this to the stock speakers..

SO in short
1:) can i hook up an after market amp to the stock speakers without tearing
2:)What brand is the TT mk4s speakers
3:) what are the size dimensions in the door and rears

just want to hear my stereo when the targa is off :) (while driving on the HWY)

if this isn't possible, no problem.. i'll just have to wait.

thanks in advance

· ESE CULO
5,531 Posts
Probably cheaper for you to just buy an aftermarket head unit that is efficient in power and buy some aftermarket front speakers and ditch the stock front and rear that are also efficient on low power gains. The rear speakers you can leave in and leave low on power gain as they are only rear fill anyway. The stock speakers will probably not like very much power at all where an aftermarket head unit will be more than enough if you buy a decent one instead of an amp. I'm betting this is better if you want to hear anything decently with the targa off. Front speaker I believe is a 4 and a half inch or something, and the rear is a 6.5. You can fit a 6.5 in the front as many do as long as the speaker isn't too deep. People have mounted them on the door panel itself, or used custom or modded stock speaker brackets. Good luck.

· Registered
6,153 Posts
Not going to be too possible, without upgrading the speakers. You may get it louder, but will sound bad. Go with a 6" or 6.5" component set and run good aftermarket speaker wire to everything. Do your homework and keep an eye out for clearances or auctions... You may get lucky. I paid about half of retail for the ones I got off of Ebay.

The stock system/speakers just doesn't cut it after all these years.

Good luck!

re opening an old thread...

i know the TT have an amp under the passenger seat (if i'm reading correctly)
Can i replace with an aftermarket amp to push my stock speakers... What can our stock speakers in the TT handle without tearing the paper.

I know i should buy a speaker system for sound, I just want to be able to hear my speakers with the targa off without having the sound of the paper vibrating (paper being the thin part around the core of the speaker).

I'm saving up for my Twin kit which is why i haven't bought speakers.
With the amp im going to buy an indash as well if its worth my while to do this to the stock speakers..

SO in short
1:) can i hook up an after market amp to the stock speakers without tearing
2:)What brand is the TT mk4s speakers
3:) what are the size dimensions in the door and rears

just want to hear my stereo when the targa is off :) (while driving on the HWY)

if this isn't possible, no problem.. i'll just have to wait.

thanks in advance

· Boost Withdraws
366 Posts
thx guys

Any suggestions on which head unit? i cant remember what they are called but im looking for a flush touch screen head unit.. like the below

Double Din head unit yes?

Also was thinking of going JL audio front and rear
6.5 in the front
whats the biggest i can put in the rear?

need a good website i can go to to find the DD and the kit to put it in for the supra

· ESE CULO
5,531 Posts
Yes they are called double din. What are you looking for though? DVD, Navi's? Most DVD units I noticed seem to come with better audio quality components out of the box, while most Navi units will need additional plug in units or you will have to buy the top of the line to get the higher audio quality component parts.

The rear is 6.5 stock, so you can get those or if you wanted to go custom you could fit larger speakers like a 8 inch mid bass as an example. I'd probably put the budget on your front speakers most and focus on the rear later. You want to spend the most on the front anyway since that is what you'll hear most. Look around, JL aren't the only brands out there to buy and are certainly not the highest end either for your money. Your best bet is to find nice audio stores to audition their stuff. Your normal Bestbuy and joe audio shop won't have anything worthwhile most of the time nor set up correctly.

· Registered
7,860 Posts
audio is not cut and dry like horsepower.

Interference, Time coherence, psyco-acoustics, reflectivity, harmonics, on-axis, off-axis, etc etc.

you need to quantify what "good" is.

Because you might be infering "good" as in you heard one of the IASCA world class cars and want to replicate which will take a lot of money, customization etc. ;)

If you mean better than stock. Clean power at 50w RMS is a good start. Don't let anyone tell you that 50watts is not alot of power for the fronts. It is. 2 way options to seperate the high frequencies from the low, also good. idealy, placement of speaker will affect imaging of the audio but again, we are talking bigger budgets for that :)

So it also depends on how much you are going to spend.

· Registered
264 Posts
If i were you i would get a good/higher end set of components instead of getting speakers in the back and of course a sub or 2. Dont need any sound coming from the back so instead use that money for better components. The rear is for bass and vocals come through in the front.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.