Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem like a stupid question, but really...the covers are there for a reason, is it merely cosmetics and the slight weight loss that the covers are removed? Or is there something to gain?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Cosmetics+easy access if you have adjustable gears.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep.. mine is gonna be gone for the adj. cam gears

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,237 Posts
none ... if someone gets to touch the belt and break it you have a hell of a job to go replace it.. as they said the only benifit is adjustable cam gears.

·
Registered
948 Posts
hello is everyone stupid?

it look coo man. isnt that obvious?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
76celicagt said:
hello is everyone stupid?

it look coo man. isnt that obvious?
I believe you belong on some hondatuner.com webpage man... and the only reason is for adjustable cam gears, as stated above, aight peace :chicken:

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Many people do it because it looks cool.

The only functional reason for it is to adjust cam gears without having to take the cover off ... but taking the cover off realy isn't a big deal at all. You ares aving yourself a couple of minutes, at most.

IMO, this area shouldn't be exposed to all of the many possible elements ... but the chances of worldly elements seriously affecting it are slim as long as you have a hod on the car.

The point made about somebody easily messing with it/possibly even damaging the belt is a god point/good reason to keep it covered, but hopefuly we wouldn't have this problem.

The previous owner of my car did the best of both worlds IMO/for my stret apllication.
My cover has been cut, like many do to expose the gears, but then the open are has been replaced by a transparent plastic "patch". Now I have a great looking cover that shows the gears spinning, but the belt etc is still well protected. Since I am not making pit-stops on race courses to adjust timing/change a belt as quickly as possible, and even more the fact that I have stock cam gears, I do not see the need to have this are exposed.

If you enjoy the look but don't need the function, then I wouold suggest a transparent cover.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Just cut the top cover in two pieces :) Easy access to adjustable cam gears by just unbolting two top bolts. Then I glued a strip of rubber seal at the cuts to make sure it's completely sealed when bolted back on. You don't want gravel or dirt getting in there.
EDIT: pictures below :) You can tell I did this a while back too.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BoostAddctn said:
I believe you belong on some hondatuner.com webpage man... and the only reason is for adjustable cam gears, as stated above, aight peace :chicken:
hey skrew u man!!!

did this the first day i got my car...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
:beerchug:

Yeah, I did it long ago as well... and I still have OEM cam gears. Think there's a long ago thread I posted cause I was getting so many PM's on it.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Transparent cover owns, and JT2MA71's idea is good too.

·
b/a/a/b/1
609 Posts
Even the stock timing gears on our cars are nice and thick and sexy looking MOST people do it for looks... those with adjustables do it for easy access(yea right they do it for looks too)...And if you do it like pmpaluda has his or with a clear lexan or plexi cover to replace what you remove there is little or no risk(mind you I said little to none... shit DOES happen) .... and it does look good :)

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
pmpaluda said:
:beerchug:

Yeah, I did it long ago as well... and I still have OEM cam gears. Think there's a long ago thread I posted cause I was getting so many PM's on it.
I can't tell, but is there really a cover there? aight peace (Lexan? PLEXI?) aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Do I ever do anything for looks? ;)

For me, it was for weight reduction (every little bit helps), simplicity (easy to see when car is TDC compression), cooling (marginal benefit), and to keep an eye on the timing belt (I replace it by the look of it, not because its been 60,000 miles)

I've heard all the horror stories about getting a rock or branch in there but whatever. I drive hard on dirt roads very often and have never had a problem (even with the hood off). I think the stock cover is just there purely for cosmetics. I bet you in 10 years a bunch of guys will be warning against taking the coilpack covers off :rolleyes:

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
my adjustable cam gears would not fit correctly with the back portion of the cover on. I dont drive my supra through gravel pits anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts