Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Eclipse CD5441 Head Unit installed and hooked up to the stock speakers...

I have $1000 to spend on getting new speakers, amps, and a sub, what would be the best setup for this price?

The guy I talked to at Mobile Dreams said the BEST amps in the world are 'US Amps', and he said he would put a 'Treo' sub in my car because he had it in his car and Treo subs are better than Eclipse subs - I have never heard of these companies, so I want to know if he's BSing about the us amps and Treo sub...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
USAmps are great amps, but pull a lot of amperes from your electrical system. Also, for SPL, Treo is in the top 3, just go to www.termpro.com and ask them what they think of Treo. However, for SQ, I would definetly go with Eclipse over Treo, but not over other things. I think you need to specify what kind of sound you would like and what kind of music you listen to so we can help you out a little more than just blurting out names and hoping you like the way they sound.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well personally I think you'd be much more satisfied by buying a nice 2 channel PPI amp for the mids, which I'd reccommend Focals, and then savin up a little more and then getting the sub and another amp. But if you don't wanna go big dollar, I'd guess a PPI amp and an Eclipse aluminum sub, or try a Focal sub, I'd guess they would sound good but I've never heard one.

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
well could you be a lil more specific on what you want to have. are you leaning more towards bigger spl or nicer sq?!? what type of car do you have? i will tell you my opinion once i know what you're really looking for.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...

I listen to rap and rock music, as long as they're good and I like the songs. Like DMX or Dr. Dre for rap and Linkin' Park or Limp Bizkit for rock.

I heard that PPI are some of the best amps.. I know this guy that wants to install my system when I'm ready, he says he wants to put in Crossfire amps and eclipse subs. - how good are crossfires?

Also is a SQ sub just have cleaner sound than a SPL - where a SPL sub has louder bass?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simi said:
Thanks for the replies...

Also is a SQ sub just have cleaner sound than a SPL - where a SPL sub has louder bass?
Basically. SQ is soud quality. Sound quality of a speaker pertains to the drop-off frequencies, transient response, ability to maintain control under quick beats and not sound muffled, etc. SPL is sound pressure level. Pretty much, the loudness. Most SPL subs aren't known for their incredible SQ, however.

On to some suggestions. I personally like Eclipse subs and they sound like they would be a great addition to the style of music you listen to. I also like Crossfire amps. They're a nice, mid-priced amp that puts out more than rated power. Some other suggestions that hover around the quality of the equipment you mentioned are:

Subs:
Audiomobile(entire line up) www.audiomobileinc.com
ADS 3--.rs
JL W3
Crystal CMP

Amps:
Just go with the Crossfire...IMO...best bang for the buck in the price range.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I get 1 12" Eclipse Sub it will sound better than if I get another similarily priced sub?

Yea.. I'll probably get a crossfire amp but how do they compare to PPI amps?

And also for Speakers... which are good? MB Quart? and which are better?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just please pleaase please run a PPI amp for your mids and tweets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go with crossfire if you want for the subs.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want to spend the extra money, ADS and PPI are an awesome choice. They have awesome SQ, awesome customer service, and they both have great quality control of their products. Also, there are a lot of different price ranges for Eclipse subs...anywhere from $200-$1000. I could recommend a thousand subs, but Eclipse are nice subs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr. Gotsnoboost said:
Just please pleaase please run a PPI amp for your mids and tweets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go with crossfire if you want for the subs.
Would getting a PPI amp be that much better than a Crossfire one? Also BMF crossfire amps are in the $400s so they're not that much cheaper than PPI.

SUBS: The cheapest 12" Aluminum Eclipse sub (500w) costs about $250, is it a better subwoofer than a Polk Momo 12" (500w) sub priced at $200?

Speakers: ??? What are good speakers?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tell me if this is a good deal...

Ok, Tell me if this is a good deal from Mobile Dreams?

- 2 Eclipse 8062 Component Speakers
- 1 Eclipse 87121.4 Subwoofer
- 1 36501 5-Channel Amp

He will take the spare out and build a custom enclosure into the wheel well, he will do all this for $1150 .

Is this a good deal?

Also, is 120w enough power from one of the Amp channels to power the 300w RMS subwoofer?
Thanks ..

·
Registered
342 Posts
How much is he charging to do the custom sub box for alone. That is not a bad deal for the package at all. I think most people charge about $600 for the custom sub box in the wheel well area.

120W at what rating 2ohm or 4ohm at what voltage. All these would make a difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eclipse 3650 Amp :
- Total 650W Max. Power Output at 2 Stereo (Sub-Out at 4)
- 60W x 4 ch(2), 120W x 1 ch(4), 0.1% THD Stereo @13.8V (RMS Continuous Power)
- 40W x 4 ch(4), 120W x 1 ch(4), 0.1% THD Stereo @13.8V (RMS Continuous Power)

Eclipse 87121.4 Sub :
- Continuous Power Handling: 300W
- Music Power Handling: 600W

Eclipse 8062 Components :
- Continuous Power Handling: 85W
- Music Power Handling: 170W

So is this Amp powerful enough?

I don't know exactly how much he is charging for the custom enclosure b/c he made the whole package deal and started at $1300 - But I think it is about $200-300 and all the labor. He said he wanted to make it fiberglass and paint it the outside of my car, I can come in and do this later for about $250.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mr. Gotsnoboost said:
Well personally I think you'd be much more satisfied by buying a nice 2 channel PPI amp for the mids, which I'd reccommend Focals, and then savin up a little more and then getting the sub and another amp. But if you don't wanna go big dollar, I'd guess a PPI amp and an Eclipse aluminum sub, or try a Focal sub, I'd guess they would sound good but I've never heard one.

Focal subs,sounds very great

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Simi said:

The guy I talked to at Mobile Dreams said the BEST amps in the world are 'US Amps'
ummm i dont know bout this guy if he says US Amps are the best in the world, they are pretty decent but there are a lot of better amps. best i have heard are macintosh but they are veryyyy expensive

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Where is this guy that is making your sub box...I'm in Redlands, CA and would like to get one made for my trunk enclosure. I'm putting 5 1/4" components up front and 6 1/2" in the rear and would like a 10" sub box under the floor of the trunk. I would like to meet the guy and figure something out. As for a sub I would go JL, I'm installing the Infinity Kappa speakers myself for now.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dozens of great brands out there. You'd be hard pressed to find real differences between amps, especially sonically. In your moderate price range, it basically comes down to power and system flexibility. You'll want onboard crossovers, preferably available in 24dB versions. I have used roughly 50, yes 50 brands in my beater car, as it's sort of a trial bed, and your best move is to spend heartily on good components. A great sleeper set, that can be hand cheaply online, is OZ Audio. Great midbass, solid midrange, and remarkable silk tweet. But I am reluctant to answer the best question because 1) it's so subjective and 2) gear that I've encountered that I'd even nominate as "best" far exceeds your budget.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts