Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
disfrutando de la vida
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my engine replacedon my car and will like to have an idea on the cost.

I have a 94 Supra singled, and need to remove the current 2jz due to bad rings, and replace it with another 2jz long block.

Just want an idea, since I had a mech quote me 2500.00 and other quote 500.00, before then I was expecting to pay around 800-1000 for a clean swamp.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
if it's a straight swao why not call a few buddies over on a weekend and do it yourself. You'll save $1500-2000.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
depends on the preparedness of the new motor really...does it need the pans installed, the wiring harness? accessories? timing belt etc. it can be a time consuming ordeal. noone will do that swap for 500.00...thats basically the cost of 5hrs labor. I would expect it to be a 12 to 15hr job maybe more... again, depending on what you have to work with.

·
disfrutando de la vida
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends on the preparedness of the new motor really...does it need the pans installed, the wiring harness? accessories? timing belt etc. it can be a time consuming ordeal. noone will do that swap for 500.00...thats basically the cost of 5hrs labor. I would expect it to be a 12 to 15hr job maybe more... again, depending on what you have to work with.
the only thing that needs is to remove the single kit from one and installed in the other engine, the second engine is ready to get the single installed. The engine that I want to swap in allready has everything to include alternator, PS pump etc.

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
Its cheaper to get the required tools and an engine hoist, balancer and chains from autozone. Remember the cheap towels so you dont hurt the engine bay.

This is assuming you have a garage, a free saturday, some buddies, pizza and beer.

·
ex BPU'er
5,096 Posts
Its cheaper to get the required tools and an engine hoist, balancer and chains from autozone. Remember the cheap towels so you dont hurt the engine bay.

This is assuming you have a garage, a free saturday, some buddies, pizza and beer.
Yep. My buddies and I removed a VQ from a 350Z, installed some greddy twins, new injectors, new a lot of stuff (lol) in one weekend. The Supra is more forgiving because it actually has room to do stuff :)

·
disfrutando de la vida
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shit for $500 bucks, does that include telling you where hes going to be keeping it after he steals it?
The person that quoted 500.00 has a shop next to where I work. I will not take it there for one reason only, he will not be as careful and probably scratch the hell of my car. on the oder hand there is not much to fuck off, is just taking one engine out unbolting the single kit, put in the other engine and bolting on the single kit. that's why I consider that 2500 is too much. I found another shop now that quoted between 1000.00 and 1200.00 which I think is the real cost to do the job and they do have experience with the MKIV.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
The person that quoted 500.00 has a shop next to where I work. I will not take it there for one reason only, he will not be as careful and probably scratch the hell of my car. on the oder hand there is not much to fuck off, is just taking one engine out unbolting the single kit, put in the other engine and bolting on the single kit. that's why I consider that 2500 is too much. I found another shop now that quoted between 1000.00 and 1200.00 which I think is the real cost to do the job and they do have experience with the MKIV.
1k-1200 is a more than fair deal...That seems more than reasonable...I would charge you 1200 to 1500 and then add to that should something be not as expected...

I wouldn't even touch this for 500.00.....surprised anyone would...
the fact that it's already singled is a help...

is the new engine you have usdm?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts