Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You read the title, how do you guys get rid of your swirl marks. Give details. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
well normally after polishing a car with a machine, you dont have that many swirl marks, but to get rid of the ones you do, you would change the buffer pad, and go over the whole car with Finesse - http://store1.yimg.com/I/levineauto_1843_500155

Then following the Finesse you'd go over the whole car by hand with 3m Hand Glaze
http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mimhanglazq.html

Hope that helps :)
Its a long process but it shines like a pearl when your done.

I dont deal with any of the companies i gave links to, just did that so you can see what it looks like.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
PC + polishing pad + Meg's #80= no more light swirls. Check on autopia.org for detailers in your area and have them look at the car and teach you how to use a PC and then you can be on your way to defect removal. After a PC the next step is a Cyclo, then finally a rotary buffer.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Whatever you do, always finish by hand with a hand-applied finishing product @ multiple coats. Your hand doesn't spin like a full-blown rotary buffer (NO counterweight on the shaft at all), therefore you won't possibly be creating more swirls....only removing any degree of swirls that are left over from using any machines.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
the link for the 3m handglaze i attached above in my first post says specifically in the details its for swirl marks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I prefer meguiars (#83 for deeper swirls, #80 for light ones) over 3m products when using a buffer. IMO theyre easier to use and have less dusting. I wouldnt even bother polishing by hand it'll take you forever and you wont get the same results. Wax I do by hand if its good expensive wax that you dont want to waste (Zaino, etc) and i use the PC for cheaper wax.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
supranyc said:
I wouldnt even bother polishing by hand it'll take you forever and you wont get the same results.

Your hand (with a great product) is the best tool to finish with.
Yeah, use a buffer all you want/need to to remove blemishes and hazy paint....I'm a high-speed buffer whore myself.....just finish by hand, not a buffer.

Because, umm, buffing swirls come from buffers :agreed:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey blkturbo, are you still offering your caliper painting service? ive seen some youve done and they look great. If not, any chance of a write up on how to do it properly? My calipers look like sh*t.

sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not to start a arguement, but using a buffer does not, in of itself, cause swirl marks. There are several sources of swirls on automobile paint. However, most of you have mentioned the solutions for mild and heavy swirl marks: glazing and polishing.

·
Homer Simpson
1,537 Posts
What causes swirls...Improper drying, washing with dirty mits/cloths, buffers with the wrong settings/pads, neglect, coin-op machines...

Like I said, if you want rid of swirls buy some Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polisher, Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0 #9, Meguairs NXT Wax with a PorterCable 7336 and some Meguiars Polishing Pads.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Detail said:
Not to start a arguement, but using a buffer does not, in of itself, cause swirl marks. There are several sources of swirls on automobile paint.

As long as we're thinking on the same wavelenght, I agree. But just to make a related note, there plenty of people in these forums that use the term "swirl marks" pretty loosely (which is why I mentioned "thinking on the same wavelenght).
I personally find that most everything, besides perfect paint, is reffered to as "swirl-marked" :D

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
I took the plunge and picked up a rotary today, wish me luck with it as I experiment on a neighbors car tomorrow! :mamoru: :x:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
^ lmao :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts