Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know there has been discussion on oil in the spark plug valleys before. I did a search and did not find anything....

I found some oil at #5 and #6 plugs. can someone explain where the oil comes from and what the fix is?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Trent said:
Valve covers. Get new gaskets and tighten the covers down better. Properly seated and torqued valve covers and gaskets will not leak at all.
I agree. I would spend the $15 dollars and get those allen head bolts for it rather than using the stock ones...they tend to loosen up.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
I agree. I would spend the $15 dollars and get those allen head bolts for it rather than using the stock ones...they tend to loosen up.

Due to the poor design of the 7m valve cover gaskets chances are they will eventually still leak. I would recommend using some fipg in addition to new bolts and gaskets.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
NJsupraA70 said:
Due to the poor design of the 7m valve cover gaskets chances are they will eventually still leak. I would recommend using some fipg in addition to new bolts and gaskets.
I do this everytime with no issues.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Be careful when you torque down the new hardware. One of the reasons Toyota used the philips head was to avoid overtightening. Overtightening WILL break the soft aluminum cam covers. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
yes allen bolts work good.
i used locktite.
Also, i found my leak to be the oil cap, because i had no gasket under neath, and my spark plug valley would flood with oil.
Try replacing that if its cracked

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
yep i am about to get some allen bolts and lock washers add a dab of fipg and i should be in there like swimwear! I have been needing to do this to keep my LIPP polished galley cover clean :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys anyone know what size of allen bolt I would need?

Thanks

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
i always put black RTV on it just to ensure the capture of my oil. thats juts me tho.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
mustangman05 said:
SupraSport.com sells a kit for about 15 bucks IIRC :bigthumb:

Or you can buy them at Ace hardware for half the price and odnt have to wait for shipping. :). Size is M6X1.0, about 28mm in length if I recall correctly.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,951 Posts
NJsupraA70 said:

This is the best and only solution and of course allen key bolts. I did this all at once and its the best way to ensure agaist seepage! :bigthumb:

G

·
just throw some copper sealer between valve cover and head,then just let the valve cover sit on it,let it dry then tighten the bolts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NJsupraA70 said:
Or you can buy them at Ace hardware for half the price and odnt have to wait for shipping. :). Size is M6X1.0, about 28mm in length if I recall correctly.
Thanks dude,

I will add that to my list!

J

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
Ace is the place.. i just took one of mine and told the guy to give me IIIIIIIIIIII this meny

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just purchased the allan bolts and lock washers for my valve covers and I'm sure this is a stupid question but here goes anyway. when I re-assemble the covers do I still need to use those washers with the rubber gromets under them that came on the valve covers or do I just bolt emm down with the allans and lock washers?

fipg errr WTF is that???

anyone know the url for the acronym glossary I saw it once and can't find it again?

thanx kyle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts