Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just hoping someone knows an easy and acurate way to test boost guage, I bough an ebay one and just want to be sure it works.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I can't think of any way other than to compare it to a reliable, known reference that is accurate, or pay somebody to do that for you.

So if you have a well taken care of, certified traceable to the National Bureau of Standards reference gauge, you can compare the two.

Maybe an easier way is to use a highly reliable pressure source, such as a column of water or column of Mercury ...water column would be inconveniently too high for even 5psi = 138.4 inches of water, but if you can get access to a Mercury tube manometer like I have, you can use it since 5psi = 10.18" Hg and 15psi = 30.54" Hg etc.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
NBS does not exist as such- it's NIST. Not many people on this forum would have access to a U-tube manometer capable of measuring to the levels we're talking about.

I'll assume since you mentioned ebay that the gauge is not precision and that is the reason for checking it? I would go into the Canada section and ask someone if they would loan you a side-check instrument.

·
Registered
934 Posts
maybe u can have an air compressor tested to verify a certain psi... then plug that into a boost gauge to cross reference, just a thought. dont know if its practical to do it that way.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
mifesto said:
maybe u can have an air compressor tested to verify a certain psi... then plug that into a boost gauge to cross reference, just a thought. dont know if its practical to do it that way.
Huh?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
NBS does not exist as such- it's NIST. Not many people on this forum would have access to a U-tube manometer capable of measuring to the levels we're talking about.

I'll assume since you mentioned ebay that the gauge is not precision and that is the reason for checking it? I would go into the Canada section and ask someone if they would loan you a side-check instrument.

We do business with NIST so I should know that.

"to the levels we're talking about" ...you can be half blind and eyeball to 1/4" of Hg and that's 0.122psi ...do you need more accurate than that?

As far as access to a manometer, a little creativity and boldness can go a long way. How far are you from the nearest high school, college, engineering school? All of those places have Hg manometers without a doubt. I have no doubt whatsoever that if you walk in and ask them to check the gauge for you with their manometer, they'd do it for you because you have a Supra ;) and they are usually helpful to people with technical questions.

So unless you have a better, more convenient way, I'd do that. Or find an industrial gauge testing and certification lab/business and they'd do it for a price, probably more than the gauge is worth.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Why go through all that BS on a cheap-ass ebay gauge? I don't get it. Just get a friend with another gauge to loan and be done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts