Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m looking to buy a Toyota supra and I would like to know the most common problem of the car. I’m know my way in mechanic so no problems for that,if someone could give me a list of the most common one it will help me a lot
Thank you in advance
Leclerc0909

·
Administrator
8,575 Posts
There are no inherent problems they all have aside from the fact they are 25 years old. Common things, old belts, hoses, vaccum lines, do compression and leakdown test. Dont buy modded 10 owner cars. I swear if this is a spam account I will ban you back to the artic.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Lack of slowness.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,273 Posts
This

is probably your biggest concern. This will happen at some point...no matter the condition of the car. It'll happen to the low mileage ones that sold for 160K as well as a high mileage supra.

Ask the previous owner if an ECU service was done, and if not be prepared to send your ECU off to Tanin Auto Electronix | Shop For Auto Electronic Repairs, Sales, and DIY Parts.

My dad's NA supra because a brick due to a leaky capacitor that damaged the board. The were able to fix it and clean up the board.
I sent mine in (TT 6spd ) and my capacitors were leaking but hadn't damaged anything.

Pretty much everyone who owns a supra should do this as a preventative measure at this point. Stock ECU's are expensive...that is if they're even made anymore (I'm not sure)

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
The dashboard will warp slightly right above the odometer, and at the trailing edge next to the passenger's left thigh. The dashboard will also separate around the windshield defogger vents, showing the yellow foam underneath.

There is a spot on the hatch at the bottom corners of the window that can rust (on the exterior).

·
Registered
Rejoined
30 Posts
This

is probably your biggest concern. This will happen at some point...no matter the condition of the car. It'll happen to the low mileage ones that sold for 160K as well as a high mileage supra.

Ask the previous owner if an ECU service was done, and if not be prepared to send your ECU off to Tanin Auto Electronix | Shop For Auto Electronic Repairs, Sales, and DIY Parts.

My dad's NA supra because a brick due to a leaky capacitor that damaged the board. The were able to fix it and clean up the board.
I sent mine in (TT 6spd ) and my capacitors were leaking but hadn't damaged anything.

Pretty much everyone who owns a supra should do this as a preventative measure at this point. Stock ECU's are expensive...that is if they're even made anymore (I'm not sure)
Not to highjack this thread, but have others had trouble with the stock ECU, with capacitor leaks and the such? Mine's 25 years old, no trouble, but I've not visually inspected it either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts