Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the trans shifter extension has a plastic part where there are just dark green/grey remnants as in picture below. I was all set to reinstall it soon and clearly need a replacement. The factory manual doesn't even mention anything beyond calling the entire part the "shift lever retainer and showing it it held down with a gasket. But all I need is whatever plastic thing left this world. There are two pins on either side of the aperature it fits in if that helps. Thanks:

Bicycle part Gas Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a W58 trans - are these the same part for the R154? Also, can I install the tranny and replace these bits or do I have to wait to get them? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I suggest going with a short shifter. DM's is great, though can get a bit noisy since it's all metal. I have no experience with the Cube one or any of the sub-$60 knock-offs on Amazon. But, for <$60 a knock-off is worth a try.

Any shifter for the R154 will also work for the W58, as long as it's not for the R154 with the tripod extension.

Too bad Raptor's S3v2 is gone. I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have a W58 trans - are these the same part for the R154? Also, can I install the tranny and replace these bits or do I have to wait to get them? Thanks so much.
The socket is the same part number per the EPC. Not 100% on the other bushing posted but it should work based on Marlin's site (Heavy Duty Seats | Marlin Crawler, Inc.).

I suggest going with a short shifter. DM's is great, though can get a bit noisy since it's all metal. I have no experience with the Cube one or any of the sub-$60 knock-offs on Amazon. But, for <$60 a knock-off is worth a try.
Splurging on the DM short shifter was money well spent imho.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, I'm such a stock guy it will become a regular theme for me, so I'll keep the shifter as is. I will drop an order to DM right away - thanks for checking on that. My socket looks to be in good shape, but as with any plastic 30 years old, appearances are deceiving. I can feel its got some grit in it and when I pop it off to clean, I'm confident it will split. I'll wait till I've got a new one in hand, however.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still wondering If I can install that shifter bushing that is like a ring while the tranny is in the car? I think so, but looking for confirmation. Tx.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
693 Posts
You flip it around the side pins to get it in there.
Like a little puzzle.
The notches in the large bushing rotate around the pins.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah nice design, eh? I watched the video. But Will I be able to do this with trans in car??

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered the bits. Thanks all for such a quick information flow. Tranny's about ready to go in so I'll go ahead with that plan, since I don't need to wait for these to arrive. Just In Time inventory here at the Idaho Supra operation....

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You will most certainly appreciate the fact that your shifter doesn't "wiggle" around like it used to, I'm sure. Figuring out how to get that seat gasket in without instructions sure was a fun one for me with my Mk2 haha. I seem to recall it being easier than it seems, just gotta rotate it around those side pins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts