Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have damaged the rear rim on my Supra & it's the Blitz Z1. I contacted Blitz to see if they can sell me the outer part only that's damaged by hitting the pavement. I thought that I could change only the outer lip since it's a 3 piece rim :rolleyes: but Blitz said that they sell the whole rim. Can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harrisonracing said:
I would try calling back and trying again, I have forgeline and can easily change have the lip changed throught them.
Thanks guys, did you buy the lip and changed it by yourself? or you sent them the rim?

·
11,217 Posts
BlackBeauty said:
Thanks guys, did you buy the lip and changed it by yourself? or you sent them the rim?
You'd most likely have to send them or another shop the whole rim so they have properly install and torque the rim. I believe since it's a 3 piece, they might have to seal it up too, no?

·
Registered
165 Posts
michaelvanle said:
You'd most likely have to send them or another shop the whole rim so they have properly install and torque the rim. I believe since it's a 3 piece, they might have to seal it up too, no?
With a 3 piece rim, where the rim halves meet, you need to ensure an air tight seal so a silicone bead is run down the area where both halves meet. You can't use any silicone from Home Depot either, it's a special type of silicone. I had a slow leak from one of my rims and had to get the bead replaced. At first it was replaced with the wrong silicone and after a few hard runs, the heat caused the silicone to break down a bit and I had to get it fixed again.

·
always watching
362 Posts
is that the whole reason behind multi piece wheels, being able to change out parts? I never got the concept of why they are a status symbol. wouldn't multi piece wheels be easier to make?

·
Registered
165 Posts
hardcharger said:
is that the whole reason behind multi piece wheels, being able to change out parts? I never got the concept of why they are a status symbol. wouldn't multi piece wheels be easier to make?
That's the main point of it, replace a damage part rather than replace the whole rim. But when you are calculate the price to replace a part it's still pretty pricey.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lambchop11078 said:
That's the main point of it, replace a damage part rather than replace the whole rim. But when you are calculate the price to replace a part it's still pretty pricey.
Hi, that was my question, the edge is damaged & I need to change that part only. Blitz said they only sell the whole rim. If that's the case. I will never buy a 3 pce rim again.

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
yea...same with Volk...obviously they make more money off the whole rim but honestly...we already hooked them up with serious business buying just the rims...couldnt they help us out....ill be needing the outter lip fixed on mine too....$200 per rim i was quoted :(

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
3 piece rims are known to be stronger than 1 piece wheels. I am also a sucker for the look to be honest. Also plan on changing out my rear wheel section to bump up to some 11's eventually.

·
Registered
165 Posts
BlackBeauty said:
Hi, that was my question, the edge is damaged & I need to change that part only. Blitz said they only sell the whole rim. If that's the case. I will never buy a 3 pce rim again.
How damage is the lip? If it's bent or nick'd, you can go to a rim repair shop and have them fix it.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
lis2k said:
3 piece rims are known to be stronger than 1 piece wheels. I am also a sucker for the look to be honest. Also plan on changing out my rear wheel section to bump up to some 11's eventually.
what? how so? a one piece forged wheel is much stronger than a 3 piece wheel. I have never heard this being the other way around. Someone please correct me if im wrong, but just from a basic design standpoint how would a horizontal peice bolted to a vertical piece be stronger than a part that is one congruent piece throughout?

Alex

·
Registered
165 Posts
lis2k said:
Well 3 piece rims normally have a forged center and outer lip with a spun aluminum inner barrel. The forging process greatly increases the strength of the rim making them much stronger than a cast aluminum rim. There are 1 piece forged rims which are unbelievable strong yet light as well. It's not really the number of pieces the rim has that gives it strength, it's the actual construction process.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
lambchop11078 said:
Well 3 piece rims normally have a forged center and outer lip with a spun aluminum inner barrel. The forging process greatly increases the strength of the rim making them much stronger than a cast aluminum rim. There are 1 piece forged rims which are unbelievable strong yet light as well. It's not really the number of pieces the rim has that gives it strength, it's the actual construction process.
3 piece forged wheels are not made of the same kind of metal as one piece forged wheels. 3 piece wheels if you ever notice, the lip and center if both polished will never have the same finish. They are different types of aluminum. While a 1 piece forged wheel may be made of the same kind of metal as the center piece of a 3 piece wheel, the barrell and lip are another kind of metal. I am no metal expert, but call up HRE, Kinesis, Simmons, e.t.c. and ask them about the different types of metals they use and you will be quite surprised. 1 piece forged wheels will definitly be lighter than 3 piece wheels though.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
lis2k said:
3 piece forged wheels are not made of the same kind of metal as one piece forged wheels. 3 piece wheels if you ever notice, the lip and center if both polished will never have the same finish. They are different types of aluminum. While a 1 piece forged wheel may be made of the same kind of metal as the center piece of a 3 piece wheel, the barrell and lip are another kind of metal. I am no metal expert, but call up HRE, Kinesis, Simmons, e.t.c. and ask them about the different types of metals they use and you will be quite surprised. 1 piece forged wheels will definitly be lighter than 3 piece wheels though.

A lot do.. But some of them use forged 6061 Aluminum alloy in both the center as well as the rimshell. Right now it is one of the most durable Aluminum alloys being used on the market.

Simply put, 3-Piece wheels gives you more flexibility in terms of widths, offsets and lip.

Just to clarify, the Volk GT series wheels are not 3-piece. They all use cast centers with spun forged aluminum alloy barrel (a 2-piece wheel design).

Casting allows for a more complex design than forging. That is why you get the awesome and much copied wheel designs from Rays and Work.

The above companies as well as PIAA and SSR have also developed systems to allow for a process where the casting is semi-forged with lighter pressures to align the crystal structure and still able to get complex designs.

Poorly cast wheels like you see on most Donks, Bubbles and Boxes are extremely heavy and are prone to cracking. It gets its strength from sheer mass. Personally would rather have a wheel bend than crack.

Single piece forged wheels are lighter than their 2- or 3-piece counterpart.. not necessarily stronger. Each company has a certain criteria(s) for strength and design wheels accordingly. Something to keep in mind, there are a lot of companies with super light weight wheels that will not last 2 seasons of racing let alone a full single season. And when I say racing.. I mean road racing, grip racing.. whatever you want to call it. The racing that lasts for more than 15 minutes, has left and right turns as well as braking, berms, and pit stops.

In the early era of 3-piece wheels, people were getting expensive magnesum centers built. And instead of having to have more centers built to replace a wheel, they just replace the cheaper aluminum outer rimshells.

The whole concept of 3-piece wheels is to be able to replace the inner or outer rimshell depending on damage. Companies such as but not limited to BBS and Volk have very tight production tolerances, assembly methods, and especially patented methods that they will not risk their reputation nor risk losing market share by trying to repair a damaged wheel. Besides, it would involve sending it back to their respective home countries to repair.. negating any savings of replacing a part of the wheel.

And having someone other than the manufacture alter a wheel can have disastrous results (See thread regarding the broken wheel - no one ever pointed out that the owner of the wheels had literally altered the physical properties of the wheel trying to modify it instead of doing the proper thing and ordering new ones).

Right now the pinnacle of racing wheels are forged Magnesium wheels.

Regards,
James R

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Well said. I would say the best bang for your dollar right now for a 1 piece semi-forged wheel is SSR.
SSR is a semi forged one piece wheel that is extremely light and the price isn't too bad. Their wheels are so light its unbelieveable. I never had any issues with strength either. Finish isn't the greatest but you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts