Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i cant really afford a rebuilt right now... but i will get it rebuilt and upgraded in a month to 57 trim...

the turbo or turbine doesnt spin that freely...
no shaftplay when you pull or push on it just side to side...

whats the risk that am i taking if i run this in my car?

edited:i meant to put cant not can

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have no problem with it boosting strong i just want to make SURE that i wont brake anything else while im runing this turbo...

its my daily driver so i need to be able to drive it...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Hmm... worst case, your turbo self destructs, sending turbine shrapnel through your intake at high speed. This is only going to seriously harm your intercooler, IC piping, throttle plate, and if the bits make it that far, perhaps your head and catalytic converter.

C

·
0 Posts
If your really worried about it you could bypass the turbo and just run a pipe/hose from your AFM to your throttle body. It would in effect make it a low compression NA for a while but there would be no risk of catastrophic failure. By the way, if turbine chunks make it into your combustion chamber it can easily scratch the cylinders, mutilate a piston or take out some valves.

·
0 Posts
GRIMJACK PUT IT CORRECT. THE FASTER YOU SPIN IT THE MORE YOU INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF A BIG FUBAR

·
Level 2 Rhythm Rogue
258 Posts
Alternatively, if you really wanted to push it you can disconnect the wastegate actuator arm and secure the wastegate open so the intake track is still intact, just not building boost.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually after reading grimJacks post it scared the crap out of me... lol

so i just got a used stockct-26 for now...

thanks for the warning...

·
Registered
250 Posts
CT-26's have fluid bearings, meaning that they ride on a film of oil vice needle/ball bearings. You should have minimal shaft play side to side but not front to back. If I remember right, mine turned only about 2 2-1/2 turns when I spun it with my fingers.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
with all ^ that said.. just don't boost period

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Measure the axial and radial clearances and compare to maximum allowable values in the TSRM. Without this info, all anyone can do is guess.

In general, catastrophic failure is rare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts