Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats kind of sound difference is there between a wastegate thats vented into the atmosphere and one thats going back into the down pipe? jay

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
when the wg is routed back into the dp you will not hear the wg open up. You will hear the sound of the turbo whine and the exhaust note with the wg rerouted. With my HKS gt wg vented to the atmosphere once it is fully open it is extremely loud. The sound is really hard to describe. IMO it sounds like a huge exhaust leak as that is what it basically is. There are a few vids floating around with cars with open wastegates. Im sure if you do a search you should be able to find it.

Carlo

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
its basically the sound of open headers right behind the turbo. But my god does it sound sooo sweet coming out from a big, full boost single :D

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
are there advantages to this open wastegate....
this might sound like a newb question but im new to the supra twin setup..but can this be done with the stock wastegate if it helps performance or can it only be done with a single with an external wastegate..also the air that is vented is the filtered air going into the intake and not the exhaust right???

·
Resident Cyborg
83 Posts
When you have a single turbo and your WG vents openly, it sounds like the world is coming to an end when it opens. If your into that sort of thing, I guess it's cool, but I don't care for it myself.

-J

·
Registered
904 Posts
Lol

ReD_SCaRe said:
When you have a single turbo and your WG vents openly, it sounds like the world is coming to an end when it opens. If your into that sort of thing, I guess it's cool, but I don't care for it myself.

-J
That was funny! Yes, the sound is extremely loud. Everyone will immediately be looking at you! Trust me.;) I have not yet decided whether to keep my car in this configuration or reroute it back into the DP.

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
That sounds like a Greddy type R bov, not a wastegate. A wastegate has a distinct chu chu chu sound. It is hard to describe, must be heard. I love my open wastegate and would never reroute it:)

Greg

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I was crouching next to the engine bay of a T04r.com member when it was on the dyno. When the open wastegate actuated I felt my entire body vibrate. Those fuckers are _loud_.

Personally if you're into that sound but want to modulate it I'd route it into the exhaust and install an electric cutout.

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
GregZ33 said:
That sounds like a Greddy type R bov, not a wastegate. A wastegate has a distinct chu chu chu sound. It is hard to describe, must be heard. I love my open wastegate and would never reroute it:)

Greg
I hope you dont meen the tread with the sound clip before sounded like a BOV ;)
That deff. was a open wastegate!!!

I just opened my HKS T51r KAI downpipe, I missed my open wastegate from my ealier Turbonetics t66/RPS kit so much that I had to get the sound again :D :D
The girls love the sound of tunder ;)

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
I was driving next to Carlo's Supra when he opened up his wastegate. Like what quick posted, your whole body _feels_ the sound, kind of like an exhaust shock!

Also, from what I've learned, you can also diagnose wastegate problems when they're vented, eg, it's opening too late or gets stuck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts