Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I know most have probably never heard of the 1 series but in the UK and about the rest of the world they are a quite popular little hatch. Enzox most recent thread of drool worthy goodness has once again led me to ask about the 1 series in the US. I couldn't find anything on BMW USA web page or much of anything beyond English web pages. Does anyone know the state of this car for the US or at least if BMW plans on a diesel release for the 3 series? I hate that the rest of the world get the great diesels and the US is stuck with the option of a VW or a bus. RWD little hatch = the shizzle. I read rumors of a 135i. A US bound version sporting the 335i TT I6.

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
It will be a toss up, since BMW doesn't think we really want the 5-door hatch. They've developed a 2-door coupe and convertible that looks to be aimed squarely at the US.

IMO the only 1-series that looks balanced is the 5-door hatch, the coupe versions look like modified Mazda 3 sedans.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bah. I want the hatch. The only problem I see with them selling a hatch in the US is asking too much for them based on the name that's on it.

I have heard that the 1 series hatch never came to the US because the A3 sells so poorly. Yeah, look at the price of the A3 too. When I looked at them the were all in the 30K-35K range. Quattro is only available on the 6 cylinder models in the US as well. I asked if I could order one without NAV, heated washer nozzels etc and I was told that it would take a few moths to get one as they don't make as many. I also asked about Quattro on a 2.0T and the guy just laughed. I don't get it. They wonder why they don't sell, but then only really offer the highest range of them in the US. Audi and BMW sell stripped out little A3s and 1 series cars in Europe, don't they ever stop to think that the problem is that they need to get over their own marketing hype? If BMW sold a nice little 1 series hatch or coupe in the 20K-25K range they would have an instant winner.

Therein lies the problem. No one wants to spend 35K on a hatchback in the US.

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
From what I've read, they're trying desperately to get the base 1-series in around 28k, which isn't too bad, considering it'll have a 6 no matter what.

I'm sure we'll see scores of the coupes and verts in white as daddy's little girls head off to college.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Sorry, major thread disappointment :( I thought you meant the "real" BMW M1:

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
From what I've read, they're trying desperately to get the base 1-series in around 28k I'm sure we'll see scores of the coupes and verts in white as daddy's little girls head off to college.
I am also afraid that the Civic riceboys will begin to graduate to buying 1 series cars. Otherwise the 1 series is the perfect car to replace the 2002 slot now that the 3 series has gotten larger, faster and more expensive than it was intended to be. That $28,000 price speculation comes from the fact that it currently costs about $27,500 for a Mexican 1 series. For all intents the American spec cars will be almost identical to the Mexican versions. The problem with BMW's pricing is that the dollar is a bit weak right now, there is a lot of talk about delaying the car and waiting to see how the exchange rates fluctuate. Personally I think BMW needs to make their cars more hard lined and polarizing to keep the "average" people from buying one, the 1 series looks like an attempt to stop that. Financially a hardcore enthusiast only stance without a mainstream car to sell is suicide. The 1 series is not intended to be a cheap car, the car is designed to be a smaller 3 series with more a bit more standard practicality and less of a hard edge to it tailored for conservative drivers.

Here is a scan I have of the prices and models as they relate to a 3 series. Don't go converting euros to dollars, instead look at the overall difference in price. BMW sells their 1 series in Europe at a high premium so conversions will not work out.

Now I know most have probably never heard of the 1 series but in the UK and about the rest of the world they are a quite popular little hatch. Does anyone know the state of this car for the US or at least if BMW plans on a diesel release for the 3 series? I read rumors of a 135i. A US bound version sporting the 335i TT I6.
I can say without much doubt that you will not be seeing the 4 cylinder variants in this country after the verbal rape people like myself gave Munich for making the horrible 318. BMW refuses to acknowledge which 1 series we are going to get but it is 100% from official statements that we will be getting a 1 series very soon. Which models that could be available is pure conjecture at this point. I think the only viable 1 Series for us to get are the coupes to keep the pedigree "pure" and avoid a nouveau riche stigma. The convertible and five door hatch are probably the next likely bodytypes. I severely doubt the sedan will be offered here unless it was also made in M Motorsport trim to avoid cannibalizing low end 3 series sales.

And about engines; don't expect a diesel until 2010, I know magazines will say BMW is looking to do this sooner. According to our current emissions laws BMW won't be able to sell a diesel here for atleast 2 years, the same reason the Mercedes BlueTec cars have not been expanded here yet ties their hands.

It will be a toss up, since BMW doesn't think we really want the 5-door hatch. They've developed a 2-door coupe and convertible that looks to be aimed squarely at the US.
That would be a 2 series (internally right now). Interestingly BMW has raised all of their prices on all of their cars, destination charges were increased, and some legalese on securing inventory was changed. Obviously all of this was done to make way for a new model which could decide if the other variants come over too. It's interesting you mention the US not wanting a hatchback;
Roundel said:
For calendar year 2005, BMW NA sold 3,660 "sport wagons," including both new and old 3 Series, 5 Series, and all-wheel-drive versions of these models, making total wagon sales less than 2% of total BMW car sales of 197,833.

By comparison, BMW NA sold 7,238 318ti Compacts in 1996---nearly 7% of 105,761 total sales. 318ti sales slipped to less than 4,000 in 1998, the last full year of sales for this model, but still accounted for 3% of total U.S. BMW car sales.
BMW CEO-Norbert Reithofer said:
We realize the market in the United States is changing. We will definitely bring the 1 series to the United States, but it will not be a hatchback. We have a 3-series model range, coupe, sedan, station wagon - and you can have something like that for the 1 series.
We know if BMW really cared only about the demographics, 3 and 5 series touring models would be dropped, and the 1 series 5 door hatch would be sold here ASAP. ti's had good sales but they weren't such good cars either. :dunno:

From some year old notes I have BMW discussed the following in their investors briefings; X4 SAC, X7 SAV, X8 SAC, 1er sedan, 1er touring, 2er shooting brake, 2er targa, Z2 roadster, X1 SAV, X2 SAC, Z6 roadster / coupe, 4er 4dr coupe, 3er shooting brake, 8er / 9er coupe or 4dr coupe, MINI coupe, MINI sedan, MINI AWD, RR baby coupe & cabrio.

It is already known the MINI lineup was completed and launched already.
The X7 and 1 series mules have already been identified.
The Z6 is probably the M6.
BMW's CEO is on record as saying the mini RR will be out; "at the end of the decade".
The 8er and 9er could be hints of what the Shanghai autoshow BMW CS concept is all about.
That leaves many unaccounted models in the X lineup. For anyone who is confused the 2er and 4er are probably "coupe" CLS type variations on the 1 and 3 series'.

I am going to have to apply for BMW STEP to keep up; I am allergic to classrooms!:eek4dance

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Who cares what it looks like? Name another mass produced RWD compact car with a 265hp engine and a 6-speed manual?
rx8 or a base 350z... the 1-series seems to be a good compromise, you get the room of a rx8 and the torque and power of a Z.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts