Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
This country is too cold.
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this black stuff on the underside of the hood. Does it have purpose? Is it sound deadener or what? Anyways, I know some people have removed theirs. Is there any benifit in doing this?

Thoughts?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
sound deadener, and heat insulator. I wouldent remove it, our turbo's get quite hot...

·
Red Rider
975 Posts
your paint may discolor above the turbo (on the hood) if it is removed

otherwise no too horrible side effects of removing it but why waste your time is weighs less than 5lbs

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
my car doesnt have it. i took it off because it was ugly and torn up. no discoloration on my hood, and i drove for 2 years without it. when i took it off, i noticed i could hear the turbo a little more.

G

·
If I were to remove it, I would make an area of aluminum tape above the turbo to reflect the radiant heat. But that is just me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Noise insulation. The vast majority of them are torn up and running around oil soaked and are a fire hazard anyway. Feel free to remove it - there will not be any paint issues.

·
Registered
448 Posts
makes your engine louder and blow off too
I had mine off and I never efected any of the hood but I had a 160deg. thermostat

G

·
mine is gone, i bought the car without it, btu the hood is white above the engine, but only on the underside, it didnt effect the rest of the hood

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
Just so you guys know, the under-hood liner may not help for heat as much as you think. I have a nice scorch mark in the paint on my hood over the turbo..thank's a lot to the previous owner(jackass!). Obviously this is only my car and was most likely, ok, completely due to lack of maintinence and respect. Just to let everyone know, the liner is still there and in fairly good condition(one small cut where the BOV hit). I'm surprized it ever dried out after being soaked in anti-freeze when my stock radiator popped last summer.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My old Cress had the hood liner all torn up. One day, while driving, it caught fire and messed up the entire hood. If it is tattered, replace it....about $100

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
i took mine up and didn't really see anything happening till after awhile...like arond the edges of the hood it's starting to fade.

·
Super Moderator
11,710 Posts
mine was ripped and ugly, I removed it and got to enjoy the turbo & bov noise that much more.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,399 Posts
So is the overall concensus on this thread that taking it off is safe and we should still be alright. Does anybody have any hard proof that it does harm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts