Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady in my department is selling 2 helmets for 40$ each. How do I find out if they are approved for track use? As I recall Englishtown is now requireing helmets right?

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Simpson closed face helmets start at $350+

That is an expensive helmet.

If you look inside (you might need to tease back the liner) you will see a certification sticker. I think that the latest standard is Snell SA2005. If it has a SNELL 2005 certification and it fits, GET IT NOW!

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Find out the model # and google search. The certification for auto helmets is either SA1995, SA2000 or SA2005. If it's SA1995, most tracks won't allow it, but for $40 it's a steal! I'd pick it up without hesitation even if it is too old. I know PCA requires you to have a SA2000 or 05 for their events. But you might be able to sneek it in :) Well, maybe not.

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It says SA2000, so that should be legit for track use? Gonna test my head size and try to snag this thing..she initially said $20 lol...

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
In many of the track day events they'll still let you use an SA2000 or better. In more serious competition you'll need the SA2005. I'm not sure about drag strips, but I strongly suspect that they would accept an SA2000.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
sa2000 will be rulled out soon, i think they are good for 7 years from 2000

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I say get it anyways. $40 is a ridiculous deal no matter how old it is!

I believe you need to get a new helmet after the 2009 season for venues that require it to be certified.

Alex

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
how has the helmet been treated? if its been dropped from any significant hieght, it is worthless...

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know nothing about the history...looks really clean though..test fit it this morning and it fits nice and snug. Gonna try to close the deal...

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was out for a few days...I snagged the one today for get this...$20....

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
so now we know what value you put on our head and it's contents

....j/k great buy, I'm jealous after spending over $300 for a "cheap" helmet, I just got a Pyrotect.

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha thats pretty funny. Nick, you do SCCA right? I am putting together a small project car now and hope to have it done by mid summer. Maybe I will hit you up for some advice on how the SCCA thing works when I am ready...

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Ha thats pretty funny. Nick, you do SCCA right? I am putting together a small project car now and hope to have it done by mid summer. Maybe I will hit you up for some advice on how the SCCA thing works when I am ready...
perhaps marginal taste "humor" ...I was just repeating what the guys who buy $1000+ Arai helmets say to those of us who don't spend that much.

I have done a couple SCCA events but by no means am I an SCCA regular. But I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can or point you in the right direction. Since you are about the same locality as me, you might put this on your calendar, the local SCCA is having another PDX performance driving experience at Pocono on June 15 and 16. If you like a high speed track, this should do it. Here's a thread from their forum:
http://phillyscca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2529

Here's the track layout:

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Nick, appreciate the information!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts