Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need any and every bit of info that could help please. I just bought an '87 turbo and it came with an overheating problem. After putting it in the air I found the center section of the turbo to be spewing coolant into my exhaust. I called turbo city and they said to just bypass the turbo with the coolant lines. Now when I start the car in the morning I can hear a sloshing noise like water running through my dashboard. Does anyone know what that is? Oh and now it doesn't even reach full warm on the temp. guage.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
First off, what crazy fool told you to bypass the lines? That's not really a good idea considering the turbo is designed to have coolant run through it. How bad was it leaking? What did you do to bypass them exactly? What did you run and where?

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
it's so cold in canada you don't need them thar coolant lines, lol, j/k

sounds like someone needs a turbo rebuild

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Bah, you don't need those coolant lines. Those are for people who don't use turbo timers. There are plenty of turbo's that don't even have coolant lines. I ran my stock CT-26 without coolant lines for months @18psi with no ill effects.

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
I believe that you should utilize every available means to reduce turbo temps, of course if your seals are shot anyway who cares?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Bishop92T said:
You've got air in your coolant. Park the car on a steep incline and run it for a few minutes with the radiator cap off.
I hate to be the one to state the obvious, but... keep a jug of water handy so you can fill the radiator as the air comes to the front of the system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you everyone for the info I will bleed the lines today. To by pass the coolant lines I just took the coolant line from the upper rad. hose housing that goes to the turbo and looped it down to where the turbo coolant hose feeds into the lower rad. hose housing/water pump flange. And I do have a turbo timer set at 1.5 min. for light driving and 3 min for heavy driving.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Bishop92T said:
Bah, you don't need those coolant lines. Those are for people who don't use turbo timers. There are plenty of turbo's that don't even have coolant lines. I ran my stock CT-26 without coolant lines for months @18psi with no ill effects.
I know you don't HAVE to have them. My turbo doesn't have coolang passages either. I was under the impression though, that if you had a turbo that was designed to have coolant going through it, that you needed to have it. That's what several reputable turbo builders told me and it makes sense to me, but maybe I misunderstood.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Manufacturers have to cover their own ass in case some retard shuts his car off immediately after running high boost. Running coolant through the cartridge will help prevent coking a little. It certainly doesn't hurt to run coolant through but it's not required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts