Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94tt

In the process of taking out my back seat to install new stereo, I found a black wire under the seat loose that leads to the back of the seat and goes up underneath the fiberboard panel at the back of the backrest of the back seat.

Any ideas what this is??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm.
i'll try to take one. essentially its a long plain black wire that feeds behind the carpet on the back of the rear seat back and goes between the backer board of the seat and the foam.
is there some internal switch in the seat ie. for the latch or something? i can't imagine anything electrical in the seatback itself otherwise.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wierd. There's a few things that run by that area, but I don't remember any wires leading into the rear seat. There is a latch for the back section but it's just a simply latch that you release manually.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting. the more i look deeper into this car, the more i realized how much goofiness went on with whoever owned it before. lots of half assed stuff done to it.

time to do it right

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok,
the wire went to no where, was taped down with thick black felt tape behind the back seat panel.

very curious....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think i found that same wire when doing my interior change. Is it like a 16-18 gauge wire? I think i remember that wire on mine not being hookd up to anything also

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes thin gauge plain black wire just hanging out there,
strange isn't it?

I just ripped it out and put it in the trash.

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Probably some kind of ground wire that should have been left alone.

·
11,219 Posts
Maybe it's the wire for the seat warmers as found in Canadian Supra's. Don't worry about it, my car has the same thing. I just tuck it away or just leave it there. As long as my car still drives, I'm happy.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Wires leading to back are: antenna, fuel door release, hatch release, Subwoofer and that is about it. Maybe an aftermarket amp. What gauge wire is it? Any writing on it?

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
hey man..when i removed my rear seat...i found that wire as well...all i did was insulated it with some tape on left the bitch chillin under the floor carpet!!

·
Making a ComeBack!
1,058 Posts
Could be the wire for the phone antenna, do you have a antenna in your back glass?. I have one of those runs all the way under the front seat to where the phone use to be b4 i took it out..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its like a 18-22 g wire. was just blindly terminated with nothing on the back seat end. like just cut and taped in place there. the part under the seat just hanging out no sign of where it was going to. serving no purpose!

hey, this is in a car where someone had cut off the gas tank drain and had it plugged with a makeshift rubber stopper.

seems at some point there also was a boost controller, and boost gauge with some of the wires just left in place.

Lots of cleanup to do on this car but overall in great shape.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i have the same wire i think thats runnin along the side my driver side seat ... its just hangin there since i got it back from the body shop don't know what it is either

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
LOL....I am almost positive that that wire is the antenna for the factory keyless entry.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hah!
no wonder it doesnt work. oh, there is no button to press on my key either...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If you sit in the drivers seat, is there a little security led on the left side of the dash area?? Does it blink when you shut and lock the doors??

If so, you have the keyless system installed, but you are probably not the original owner and do not have the key fobs to work it.

They are roughly $70 from Curt at Elhurst Toyota if your interested.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a security light and it does blink
they told me they are unavailable now when i called about them

thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts