Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RPS Stage 2 clutch and Fidanza Flywheel. Just a couple days ago this started. The clutch feels pertty light and spongy, and when the engine is running, I can feel a tiny bit of vibration through the pedal when I press it down. It has also become very hard to shift. I have to press the clutch all the way to the floor, which isn't required normally.

The shifter is very hard to move in and out of gear when shifting, also. First gear and reverse are the hardest. Reverse gear takes two hands to move it into!

I bled the clutch lines thoroughly, which didn't help, and am replacing the master cylinder tommorrow. The slave cylinder was replaced in January. Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
Sounds like you just need to readjust the linkage to properly set your engaugement point. Go down under your floor board behind your clutch pedal and loosen the 12mm locking nut and then spin the clutch rod lefty loosy giving you more pedal engaugement. Should engauge about 2 inches of the clutch being all the way let out.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm thinking no, because it wouldn't be so sudden, it might be gradually getting lower, and that wouldn't be a reason for the clutch to get spongy. The CMC seems to be leaking, so that most likely is my problem.

Anyone ever replace a clutch MC by themselves? How the HELL did you do it???

Forgot to say thanks. :p Didn't know there was an adjustment for that.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Could be a number of things. On the actuator side, you have the Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder. You replaced the slave recently, so that's probably not it. When the MC leaks, often it can drip out the back (read: on your floor mat!) Is your fluid level down for the clutch at all?

The other thing it could be is the mechanical part that disengages the clutch. This could be in the form of a broken finger (or more) on the pressure plate. Or perhaps some problem with the clutch fork/throw-out-bearing.

The sad news is that based on what you were saying, I would be more inclined to believe it's more clutch-plate related than it is hydraulic. Having a bad MC shouldn't transmit any more/less vibration to the pedal. But having a bad TOB or broken fingers can certainly increase the vibration on the pedal.

I've not done the MC on a Supra before so I can't help a ton. Usually it's just a matter of pulling the pressure line and removing the (two?) bolts that connect it to the firewall.

May be worth pulling the inspection cover on the bell housing and taking a look inside.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
also, inspect the clutch line to see if it has any bulges or bulges under pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The clutch is new, so the TOB was replaced with that. The CMC is leaking near the front, not the firewall side. I wouldn't think the clutch line could bulge...? Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
The Clutch and TOB and Pilot where all installed when I did the engine for him. I know the clutch was broken in properly(I can confirm in my driving, and in speaking with Coleman he was very paranoid/careful during the break-in.

The vibration you feel may be the clutch failing to fully dissengage, as is "skiiping" against the PP, which transmits to the slave cylinder, through the lines, the master cylinder then the pedal.

When you go to bleed the clutch, get a vaccum bleeder.. read GET ONE. It makes life MUCH easier. i.e. a friend tried for 2 hours to bleed a clutch. With zero fluid transfer. I show up with a vaccum bleeder, 20 seconds it's bled.

Jared

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Jared. I'll definitely try one of those. I could tell the clutch couldn't fully disengage. Even with the clutch at the floor, the car either moves or idles very low when in gear. The CMC is leaking from the line and under the reservoir, so that should be my problem. Wish someone who has replaced one of these would chime in. The bolts are ridiculous to get to.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Troux said:
Thanks, Jared. I'll definitely try one of those. I could tell the clutch couldn't fully disengage. Even with the clutch at the floor, the car either moves or idles very low when in gear. The CMC is leaking from the line and under the reservoir, so that should be my problem. Wish someone who has replaced one of these would chime in. The bolts are ridiculous to get to.

Swivel sockets are your friend... =) Deep swivel sockets... =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts