Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
165.5hp/427lbs
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '95 Supra NA Auto with a K&N and racing medallion(I think) exhuast and I came opon a 2001 Mustang V6 5speed with a K&N also. That's it. He also got the "traction conrol" but I don't know if that helped. Well, we lined up and I was thinking, "Damn, don't he know this is a SUPRA?" So he counted down, and Immediatly he had me on the start because of my auto tranny. I thought I would start to gain on him, but he stayed a car lenth in front of me and I stayed with him right there! As we passed a 1/4 mile, I started to gain on him sick, but a car got in front of me so I slowed down. We stopped and I was like, "What the hell happened?!" We raced again from a 30mph roll-on with the same outcome and I am very dissapointed in my car...well...atleast it looks better:( :mad:

M

·
0 Posts
damn those american cars! :rolleyes:

sorry to hear about that... i've never raced a 'Stang, tho... now i'm a little anxious to see what happens, better luck next time.

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
My Black 97 NA was an auto and it was really doggy. Shift points didn't mate with the engine powerband very well. My green 97 has a 5 speed and is immensely quicker. I think the 1/4 mile times are similar, but it is much easier to downshift to an appropriate gear in the manual...

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
Geeeez, what aheartbreaker. I thought our cars have a weight advantage over the newer stang. I've seen them listed @ 3500lbs or so. Anybody know of a web site with an archive of previous road tests?:(

·
At My Signal Unleash Hell
820 Posts
SupraDaddy_NA said:
I own a '95 Supra NA Auto with a K&N and racing medallion(I think) exhuast and I came opon a 2001 Mustang V6 5speed with a K&N also. That's it. He also got the "traction conrol" but I don't know if that helped. Well, we lined up and I was thinking, "Damn, don't he know this is a SUPRA?" So he counted down, and Immediatly he had me on the start because of my auto tranny. I thought I would start to gain on him, but he stayed a car lenth in front of me and I stayed with him right there! As we passed a 1/4 mile, I started to gain on him sick, but a car got in front of me so I slowed down. We stopped and I was like, "What the hell happened?!" We raced again from a 30mph roll-on with the same outcome and I am very dissapointed in my car...well...atleast it looks better:( :mad:
I'm sorry to hear that unfortunate incident.
Quick question? Did you have your O/D on or off? and were your on "D" all the time? Does your Auto Tranny has that ECT button witch allows the tranny to stay on one gear all the way to redline before going to the next gear. If not here is something you can do next time, it might help you some:
Set your OverDrive off and out your gear on "L" and start there. Once you come close to read line switch to "2" gear. Again when you start to get close to redline switch to "D". It should not hurt your tranny. Practice it a little and you'll see its not that hard. I heard that it works good for people with Auto trannys. Good luck.

--Oliver

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: What's wrong with my NA?!

oliver said:

I'm sorry to hear that unfortunate incident.
Quick question? Did you have your O/D on or off? and were your on "D" all the time? Does your Auto Tranny has that ECT button witch allows the tranny to stay on one gear all the way to redline before going to the next gear. If not here is something you can do next time, it might help you some:
Set your OverDrive off and out your gear on "L" and start there. Once you come close to read line switch to "2" gear. Again when you start to get close to redline switch to "D". It should not hurt your tranny. Practice it a little and you'll see its not that hard. I heard that it works good for people with Auto trannys. Good luck.

--Oliver
i'll second that... i do this with my parent's benz! it's fun, sqeezes some extra "ummph" outta the auto tranny

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
Hey, Oliver, quick thinking. I've seen your web site and your output looks impressive. Got any 1/4 times? Kills? Feel free to join "n/a's represent yourself" before you go turbo.:peace:

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
When I had an auto, and I was on the highway and thought I might need to get on it - I kept it pinned at the top of 2. Punch it and puch it up to D at redline. Keep the "MANU" button pushed in and O/D off. This worked decently when you were rolling and ready to go.

From a stop, nothing seemed to work too well. Not much torque, and dropping the clutch in an auto not a good idea. Could've powerbraked, but not a fan of that.

Not to be a total downer, but I was pretty disappointed with my auto N/A, just like you seem to be. Just have to focus on the fact that it is still a pimp ride and plenty quick from 65mph and up...

I also made a "ram-air" type setup that worked pretty well. Will probably do the same for my new one this fall. To make a long story short - located a PVC 4" to 3" elbow so that the big ass 4" opening was right behind the passenger air dam (where the SMIC would be). Cut into the fender floor below the stock airbox, then cut a matching hole in the airbox. Closed off the original openings to the airbox to create a pressurized airbox.

This time, I am going to build a bigger plexi box and put a big K&N oval in it to help straighten out the air...

·
At My Signal Unleash Hell
820 Posts
vreaux728645 said:
Hey, Oliver, quick thinking. I've seen your web site and your output looks impressive. Got any 1/4 times? Kills? Feel free to join "n/a's represent yourself" before you go turbo.:peace:
Thanks man.. I try to represent the N/A's all the time. Around here where I live I'm the only N/A that I know of. I go the track and to some street racing with all my TT friends. It's awesome :D :D
My 1/4 times are bad.. my best time so far is 15.4 @ 91mph... yeah.. I'm a bad driver he he :D
Kills... I have bunch of kills under my belt, Preludes, Turbo Eclipses, Integras, Mustangs etc etc.. but of corse I've been handed my ass many times too.
I got to say that I love my N/A. I could sell it and buy me a TT but I just can't sell my baby. Instead I'll go turbo. Yeah.. it might be more expencive but I get to keep my car.. I'm too attached to it. LOVE MY NA...:p
Later :)

--Oliver

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
Damn right! The Supra in all it's generations is MACK DADDY! I learned to drive stick on my buddy's 81, owned an 82, 92N/A, now a 96N/A. Love the challenge of extracting performance from these babies.:bootyshak Since I'm bone stock & not paid off yet, I've got to be descrete about my picks.
However after 9yrs in a 200hp, 3500lb n/a & now a 225hp, 3200lb n/a, I'm ready for some freewheeling! I thought we could match up with plain 'stangs', but I'd better rethink that. How about www.suprastore.com & their n/a bpu kit? I'd love some responses. Anybody done a high compression rebuild yet? I don't think we've completely exploited the potential of the n/a yet.
With our light weight & gearing, I think that 400hp monster at that "modified" website could be in the high 12's or low 13's. :aroused: :cool:

·
5,059 Posts
I agree with you :) I've thought about selling my NA for a TT but I don't think I could. Just something about this car makes me never want to sell it. Plus if my car was any faster I'd probably kill myself, total my car it or get my car impounded lol. And when I first went looking for a Supra I didn't care if it was an NA or a TT. I just wanted a silver Supra and thats what I got :)

oliver said:

Thanks man.. I try to represent the N/A's all the time. Around here where I live I'm the only N/A that I know of. I go the track and to some street racing with all my TT friends. It's awesome :D :D
My 1/4 times are bad.. my best time so far is 15.4 @ 91mph... yeah.. I'm a bad driver he he :D
Kills... I have bunch of kills under my belt, Preludes, Turbo Eclipses, Integras, Mustangs etc etc.. but of corse I've been handed my ass many times too.
I got to say that I love my N/A. I could sell it and buy me a TT but I just can't sell my baby. Instead I'll go turbo. Yeah.. it might be more expencive but I get to keep my car.. I'm too attached to it. LOVE MY NA...:p
Later :)

--Oliver

·
165.5hp/427lbs
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Supra-Slow Supra

When I raced him, I raced at first in drive with the overdrive off. I gave the excuse that I had an auto, so we raced from a rollon, in drive, overdrive off. Then, we raced again, with the "manu" button on, started dead stop in low, shifted at 6500 every gear. I noticed everytime as I shifted into "D" I would gain pretty much on him, but the street we're racing on is maybe 3/4 of a mile long, so you raced then hope to slow down in time so you don't slide into the street at the end. I took it into Toyota and they said my Mass Air Flow Sensor was very dirty. I bought electronic cleaner from Radio Shack, took it off and cleaned it, put it back on and car would stagger, let out black smoke and turn off. I also got a turbo '87 supra and the MAFS looked the same. So I put it on and now it's runnin' aiight. I ordered and new MAFS and they sent me some big piece of metal that looks nothing like what is on it now and on the top it reads"88 Supra". I don't know whats going on there.
I've also raced a stock '95 5speed NA supra w/ 130K on the odometer and that too also beat me, by like 2 cars. I regret not getting a 5 speed, but hey, I got my car with 18"s intake exhaust and a kick-ass system for $12,500. Can't beat that.

"I also made a "ram-air" type setup that worked pretty well. Will probably do the same for my new one this fall. To make a long story short - located a PVC 4" to 3" elbow so that the big ass 4" opening was right behind the passenger air dam (where the SMIC would be). Cut into the fender floor below the stock airbox, then cut a matching hole in the airbox. Closed off the original openings to the airbox to create a pressurized airbox."
-I also thought of this, but if your driving in the rain, wouldn't the filter suck in all the water? Very good idea though.
Supra DaddyNA

:(

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... Maybe an e-mail to Reg Reimer might help with the MAF problem. Take a look at the "best exhaust" topic, there's a driver with a "stang" kill. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Don't worry about losing to a 5spd Mustang. They run 16.0-16.4 Stock in the QM. A stock 3000GT SL auto runs about that. So I would assume the Supra Auto runs the same.

Here are some specs for you
Mustang Base 5-spd(not conv)
Power- [email protected]
Torque- [email protected]
Weight- 3114lbs

Supra Base Auto
Power [email protected]?
Torque [email protected]?
Weight 3255lbs

NA 3000GT -DOHC Engine
Power [email protected]
Torque [email protected]
Weight 3183-3350lbs

Also, I have a 5-spd 3000GT. I ran [email protected] in the QM. Darn it, if I could get some Damn traction off my 18s I would be in the mid to high 14s

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
Brake Torque it.. my brothers 2004 v6 mustang (w/Tracktion control, like it needs it for 160hp/150Tq) is slower then my moms 2000 malibo (170hp/190Tq) by like 1/2 a sec in 0-60.Malibo 0-60 in 8.5, stang 0-60 in 8.9. Plus i had a 89 auto N/A and i would to the same as a 5 sp 98 mustang GT.. then i would start to pull ahead @ 60.

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
No shit, how the hell did you unearth this thread??? I guess the "search" option is starting to work.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
man its a NA auto overweight car with 190whp.......wat did u expect....? just because its a supra doesnt mean its fast, go NA-t, then start racing, untill then ure only hope is riced out civics, and i cant even say that anymore, my friend has a white hatch with 600whp.....walked on a 700whp+ silver supra from here in charlotte, the guy is on the forums too, so anyways, i raced a mustang that was talkin shit, it was a mustang "bullitt" some special addition "5.8 litter mustang" or so i was told my the guys friend, turned out tobe a mustand "bullshit"......lost by atleast 5 cars after i missed 4th.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts