Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my shifter is extremely loose when its in gear.....and in neutral too. it wasnt like this before. it kind of all of a sudden happened? what could be wrong?

~Tiffany

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a B&M shifter and my gear knob is still loose and wobbly :( It has a play of 5-6mm when in gear, I want to get rid of this VERY annoying problem as well!

How do I solve this? Some kind of bushing?

Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i was thinking i need some kind of bushings or something but why would this happend just like all of a sudden? do they just go bad after time?

·
Registered
123 Posts
get an auto....;)
or you could take the shift stick apart all the way down to check the conections or joint dont know the correct word, just a thought:)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Check the linkage below from another the car. Tighten the bolts on the U arm that connects the actual shifter. This actually helped the shaft play in both neutral and in gear for me, but there's some play still going on. I've yet found the answer for this.

Anyone have an idea if this is just common with the MKIV's?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
VINZE said:
Check the linkage below from another the car. Tighten the bolts on the U arm that connects the actual shifter. This actually helped the shaft play in both neutral and in gear for me, but there's some play still going on. I've yet found the answer for this.

Anyone have an idea if this is just common with the MKIV's?

I believe this could be a common problem for the 6spd shifters. Especially as our cars are getting older. Here is a pass thread about the same problem that others were also having loose shifters. I'll be getting a short shifter soon so i'll see if i can solve this problem when i take out the stock one. I'll let everyone know if I have any luck with it.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120874&highlight=loose+shifter

-Phu

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would rather die before getting a handicap adjusted Supra (auto).......!

:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
ITS YOU ALL YOU KNOW HOW TO SHIFT BEFORE YOU GET IN ONE

:devil:

·
Unstable
370 Posts
Could be the shifter shaft bushings. I found out that mine are completely dry rotted, and nearly non existant. I'm replacing them today so I'll be sure to post the results. :)

90387-08134 Shifter brace BUSHING $1.40 x2

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Slowpoke said:
I would rather die before getting a handicap adjusted Supra (auto).......!

:D
WORD UP, 6 speed till we die.. ;)

What would the world be like if we couldn`t GRANNIE SHIFT AND DUBBLE CLUCTH :bigok:

hehe... im in a good mood today!!

Runi:dj:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheDane said:
WORD UP, 6 speed till we die.. ;)

What would the world be like if we couldn`t GRANNIE SHIFT AND DUBBLE CLUCTH :bigok:

hehe... im in a good mood today!!

Runi:dj:
:beerchug:

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
I have the answer everybody is looking for.
There are 2 sets of bushings on the tranny/shifter bracket setup that tend to go over time and result in shifter play. I replaced both of mine and now it is tighter then new. Before you could move the shifter back and fourth in gear about 1/4 inch and it felt sloppy.
Only problem to this whole thing is the lower busings that hold the u bracket to the tranny are a pain in the ass. You have to pull the whole bracket off the car and have the old/new bushings pressed out and in. The upper bushings just slide in and are $17 each from toyota. The lowers are a hair more and actually have a steel casing.
DO NOT over tighten the shifter bolt that connects the shifter to the tranny itself, well tranny bracket we will call it. This will make the shifter very tight and hard to get into gears.
One more thing. To replace the lower bushings you will need to drop the rear of the tranny down (4 bolts that hold the cross support up, pretty easy).
Thanks
Dean

·
Unstable
370 Posts
Part numbers please! :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey thanks everyone for your help! :) now i just gotta find someplace to do it for me. i'm not exactly the best car repair girl over here :(

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What area you from? Maybe someone can suggest some locations?

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
No problem guys. I dont have part numbers but there are only 2 sets of bushings and any toyota parts guy can pull it up on there computer.
With a sloppy shifter 5th gear is very hard tograb also, at high revs.
Well Tiff if you are in an area i know i will get you help also..
You wrote in your av that area is unknown..:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts