Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the number of wheel and tire question asked, I thought I would just do a sticky of this spreadsheet. If people quit viewing it I will remove the sticky.

In the row marked "Input your information here" (the red cells) enter your available/proposed wheel diameter, wheel width, offset, tire width, and tire aspect ratio and it will let you know if it will not work.

Thanks, Steve

Click here for the quide

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the info.
What do you mean when the spreadsheet says that the tire will not fit flush with the fender? Does it mean the tire sticks outside of the fender?
Thanks again,
John B.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve Theodore,

Thanks. I'm suprised you haven't seen it before.

mistersolo,

It means the wheel will not rub anything, but it will set to far inside like the stock rear wheel to look good.

Later, Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, I've searched a couple of different times trying to find out what the biggest 17 inch tires you can fit up front are, but I can't find it. 255/40/17 265? Just wondering about fender clearancs, I don't havce stock rims.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Key the information into the spreadsheet and it will tell you. A lot depends on how wide and what offset you have. 265/40's will fit if you have a 9" wheel or wider and the offet is right.

Later, Steve

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
I'm running 275/40 17's on the rear and 255/40 17's on the front all on stock wheels and they work great. As you said you are not running stock rims so you would need to compare your offset to the stock offset. I tried the 275's on the front using the stock rear wheels and they rub badly. Also they stick out from the fender. Before the rear wheel would fit on the front I had to grind a rib off from the inside of the brake caliper. The idea I had in mind was to have the same size tires all the way around so I could rotate them. I gave up on that idea. But I am still going to rotate from side to side by dismounting and remounting tires. I am also working on an alignment that works better for tire wear and still drives great. When I get that all tested and proven out then I will post the info.

:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Scott said:
Hey, I've searched a couple of different times trying to find out what the biggest 17 inch tires you can fit up front are, but I can't find it. 255/40/17 265? Just wondering about fender clearancs, I don't havce stock rims.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
I guess we are out of luck if we don't have Excel or at least I am unable to make it work.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Thanks John. I have Star Office but don't use it for anything. I tried it and it works fine. Thanks for reminding of what all it could do. It actually came on this computer. But I had downloaded it to an earlier computer. What a huge download for my slow connection...haha...

john said:
No excel? Get staroffice from http://www.sun.com/staroffice

:)

Q

·
0 Posts
Steve,

From the fitment guide, the good fitment wheels are 18x9.5Fw/50 mm offset and 18x10.5Rw/54mm offset. If these wheels were 18x9F and 18x10R with the same offsets, would they still be considered a "good fitment"?

Thanks.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends on the tires you plan on running. If you are going to run a 265/35 front and 295/30 rear than that would be a good fitment. If you want to run a 265/35 front and a 285/30 rear than the fronts would be fine, but I would probably go with something closer to a 47mm offset for the rear. If you are going to run a 255/35 front and a 285/30 rear than I would probably use somthing near a 45mm front and a 47mm rear. The good thing about a 50mm front and a 54mm rear even in a 9" front and 10" rear wheel is that you could run a 255/35 or 265/35 front and a 285/30 or 295/30 rear. If you went with a 47mm rear, you wouldn't be able to run a 295/30.

Later, Steve

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Steve I read somewhere that the offset on Stock Supra TT wheels is 43mm for the front and 47mm for the rear while I see you have listed 50mm for both front and rear. Which is correct and where does the information come from or did you actually measure the offset? Thanks for the help.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I am not mistaken the offset is stamped on the inside of the wheels. If you find something different, let me know. I am pretty sure it's 50mm, but I don't remember where I got the information.

Later, Steve

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
I think I read it on MKIV.com on a post by Andy Baritchi. If I come across any better info I will get it to you.

S

·
0 Posts
Damn kick ass chart. However, i am just a little confused here. i have stock suspension w/ 18x9 w/ 245/40/18 up front w/ 40-43 mm offset( no more than 43mm, forgot exact #), and the chart tell me that it will rub on the top of the inner fender wall. Where exactly is that and how can i find out if there is rubbing or not?Also which suspension setup is the result come out w/ since there r 4 combination listed on the chart
1. Stock suspension
2. Eibach springs and stock shocks
3. Eibach springs and KYB/AGX shocks
4. Eibach springs KYB/AGX shock and TRD swaybars

A

·
0 Posts
Steve,

That's a very big offset we are talking (+50s). Most Japanese rims like Volk Racing, TRD, etc come in offset ranging from +38 to +45.

I, myself, have to deal with this issue trying to find the wheel for my car. What do you think about 18X8-1/2 F +40 and
18X9-1/2 R +45? What size of tires fit this best? Thanks..

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suprahaha,

Basically I am saying the chart will let you know what will work with any of the 4 combinations. Things the chart say won't work, may work with a stock suspension and stock ride height.

AMUSE,

If your running relatively narrow rims like 8.5" front and 9.5" rear with narrow tires 235's front and 275's rear than a smaller offset will allow the tire to be flush with the fender lips. My larger 50mm offset front and 55mm offset rear wheel will allow me to run 275's front and 295's rear. My tires will still be located at about the place as related to the fender lip, but I will need to move the wheels/tires inside to allow for the extra width.
I wouldn't personally run anything smaller than a 9" wide wheel with a 255 on the front of a Surpa. It's very heavy car and it feels much more nimble with more rubber on the front.
The wheel sizes you listed will be somewhat limiting. You won't want to run any bigger than a 235 (possibly a 245) on the front. Given this you have a couple of choices for the rear.
1. Run the maximum size of 285/30 on the rear and have a car that will understeer a lot and not be much fun to drive.
2. Run a 265/35 on the rear and have car that will be balanced, but not have the grip or look you would want after adding new wheels and tires.

The Supra is a car that can run and needs very large wheels/tires. These are not easy to find. Especially when your on a budget. Look at the size wheels/tires cars with the same power and weight of a BPU Supra run and you will get an idea of how under tired the Supra is.

The Enkei RPO1 is still one of the best wheels available for a Supra if your on a budget. You can get an 18x9" 42mm offset 255/35R18 front and 18x9.5" 45mm offset 285/30R18 rear. You can get this whole set of wheels for $720. A friend is looking at buying a Supra. We are going to buy the RPO1's in an 18.9.5" 45mm offset for the front. Then we are going to get some 18x9" 22mm offset and widen them 2". This should give us an 18x11" 47mm offset wheel that can be run without any spacer or extended lug. This should give us some 18x9.5" front and 18x11" rear wheel for less than $1,200. It will be several months, but I will let you know what we find.

Later, Steve

1 - 20 of 93 Posts