Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I ruined my rear wheel bearing today. The theory is that when trying to take off my rear rotor while the parking brake was holding onto it, I pulled out one side of it very far, but that left the other side inward, and smashed a side of the bearing. Now I get bad play in the wheel and I can't drive above 40 mph without a bad thumping in the rear.

So my q is this. It needs to be replaced. Can I do it? I have all regular tools, but I know I'd need the special pulling tool.

Just wanna know if anyone's done their own, and if it was tough, and if they'd recommend just letting a shop do it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
There is a write up on mkiv.com about it. I did my own, it's a bit of a PITA. You will need to take the spindle to somewhere with a press to get the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in. Also I would reccoment that you borrow the pitman arm puller from autozone to separate the ball joints, if you use the fork it's easy to damage the boots IMO.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
I think this is something I would leave to the pros (or, at least semi-pros).
I know it's expensive, but so would screwing it up.
Just my $ 0.02.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Take it to a mechanic. You'll need the bearing pressed - Not something most people can do with their standard tools.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, this was the answer I feared, but thanks for the honest replies guys. It wouldn't be cool if I got into something I wasn't capable of.

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
what you can do is remove the hub from the car and do like me, bring it to a garage you trust with the parts, reinstall it yourself, that way, you just need to pay for the bearing change.

Oh yes, you need a press to do it...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As puma said, just remove the hub yourself. Bring it to any local machine shop and they can press the bearing in/out. You need serious pressure and the right machine to press the bearing out correctly. They wont charge very much either, maybe 20 bucks plus bearing.

Other than that, the rest of the job is simply unbolting/bolting.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^^ I don't think pulling the ball joint is simple bolting and unbolting. This may be the first time I actually give the car to a shop, because I am tired of working on it

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Newark Toyota in Delaware did a real good job on my rear bearings, hubs and one axle I trashed. If you want to try them, let me know and I'll look up the name of the mechanic you should ask for, there is one guy there who is "the Supra expert" and you should ask for him to do the work, he will.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also fellas, I noticed on the front of the hub, under the cotter pin and nut-lock mechanism, there is a HUGE nut there, bigger than any of my sockets. Is this a standard/metric size large nut or do we need a special tool? I'm almostt thinking about taking off my hub tomorrow. Is it hard to accomplish? And what do I need to be asking for when calling around for places that can remove it, any special type of press?

·
Registered
907 Posts
its like a 22mm or something like that. I dont remember exactley but i know i have the right size, meaning it's not abnormal or special. I would take the hub off and bring it somewhere :)

-Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I may actually do this. Anyone have a short step-by-steo of it? Also, still wondering what I need to be asking when calling places with a press. Is there a special type of press I'll need?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, much easier than I was expecting. Okay then, thanks. :)

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
Also fellas, I noticed on the front of the hub, under the cotter pin and nut-lock mechanism, there is a HUGE nut there, bigger than any of my sockets. Is this a standard/metric size large nut or do we need a special tool? I'm almostt thinking about taking off my hub tomorrow. Is it hard to accomplish? And what do I need to be asking for when calling around for places that can remove it, any special type of press?
You can measure it and get a big ole wrench, or you can probably get it with a big ole Crescent wrench.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
yea crecent wrench should work... it shouldent be under much pressure at ALL.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
I just read the first post here but I wanted to post up that I changed my own rear bearings and it was a major crap job. I can think of many other installs I would have rather done instead. Wouldn't hurt to have toyota do it and save the hassle!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts