Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran over a set of those thick steel plates (like 4'x8') that get put down on the roadways during heavy construction at speed, and now I'm getting binding sound/unraveling sound coming from somewhere in the middle to the rear end of the Supra.

Can anyone diagnose damaged wheel bearings for me? I know I messed something up in the driveline, I just don't know where else to start.

I hope I didn't mess up the rear diff...

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
When wheel bearings go out, they usually make a growling noise. If you go around a corner it will usually make a louder growling noise say on a left turn and then when you turn to the right the sound decreases or goes away. Sounds to me like you have something possibly rubbing of some sort. I would jack the rear of the car up and look under the car. Put it on jack stands and put it in 1st gear and listen for the source of the noise.

Lawrence

·
Registered
753 Posts
Jack up the rear of your car. make sure your e-brake is not engaged. then go to each wheel and try wiggle the wheel from top and bottom. There should be no play what so ever if the wheel bearing is fine. if you do, then it's bad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
well wheel bearings usually wear and dont just suddently break cause you ran over something.

the best thing to do is to get the car jacked up so you can see what is wrong man. best bet is to take it to a shop, tell them wat happened and get them to hoist it up so they can see if there is any damage. i have my doubts about it being wheel bearing. no sense driving around wondering what the problem is when you could be making the problem worse.

aside from that wheel bearings can still howl but exibit no play.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another discovery: The noise does not become audible until the car has been driven, which leads me to believe it's the rear differential. Ugh.

I think I may have killed the rear DIFF. Ugh again. I'll get her up in the air and drain the fluid and examine.

Anyone have a TRD rear diff. they want to sell anytime soon? Until I find out more, the car is down and out for the count. Damnit.

I'll update with findings in this thread.

·
Registered
839 Posts
describe the noise exactly. if its rotational it could just be bullbles in the tires, cord shift in the tires or even a bent wheel**** most likely. get the wheels off the ground andspin them pretty fastby hand. if its not rotational, then you could have bent a suspension component or broken/torn a bushing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In my experience, wheel bearings do not go bad unless there is some solid contact,ie. wheel to concrete, or in your case, wheel to metal.
You should be able to back off and accelerate, hear a difference if it's the dif.(?)

·
LoveHz
747 Posts
take it to goodyear or something... ask for a brake check... and just "note" that you hear a noise coming from the rear... usually the techs will find issues with the vehicles because they get paid to fix the problem... over here my boys look at your vehicle... you come to my shop for an oil change... we sometimes call you back with a bill totaling $2000 for "maint" or "failure"... we do courtsey checks because we are liable for the vehicle after it leaves the shop... "you are the professional, why didnt you tell the customer about the problem?"... thats in the back of our minds... but i cant speak for your areas....

as stated above...

jack up the car... no brakes engaged... push the top of the tire facing you towards the car... if the wheel wobbles... your bearings are bad/going... if that pot hole/plate was huge... you might have just knocked something loose and its rubbing the tire like the fender liner... do a visual and then get back to us...

to eliminate the "wheels" as the problem... while it is jacked up in the air. spin the tires... listen for the noise... if its there with the wheel on... take it off. spin the tire... noise still there? remove the caliper... spin the wheel... still there? have someone spin the rotor(s) while you "feel" the rear for the noise... put your hand on the part that you hear making the noise while its spinning...

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Whatever it ends up being, if it turns out being damage and it was caused by that plate, you can go to the municipality where the damage happened and file a report. I believe a good place to start is the Public Works department.. then you can either file the damage report with them or the contractor doing the work.. their insurance will pay for your repair.

Ron (StSupDog) got 1 or 2 wheels repaired after hitting what I think was a large pothole, you might wanna ask him what he did, cause I forgot exactly. I can't imagine busting your diff from hitting that plate... but you never know!

Good luck!

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update: I finally got around to working on my Supra today. Turned out not to be the wheel bearings, but the axle nut had backed off a little bit on the driver's side. Just enough within the castle nut/washer safety piece and pin. Double checked the pass. side as well.

Torqued that mofo back to the ~215 or whatever foot pounds the FSM calls for, and it's all good! Phew!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts