Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of noise from the driver side front wheel and if I turn the steering wheel even barely left or right I am getting a lot of vibration and feedback. Would this be the wheel bearings going out or is there some other possibility? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
It's the same on all cars. Jack the tire up in the air. If it feels lose, but the wheel nuts are tight, the bearing is dead.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
depends...

could also be tierod, balljoints, ect....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shaking the wheel is a good diagnostic way, but you must shake it a certain way so as to isolate wheel bearing and not confuse it with tie rod or bad ball joints. I would actually try and wiggle the tire in and out with the tire in the air. just try and push/pull the top and bottom of the wheel. Just double check that you don't have bad ball joints or tie rod ends or something. Replacing the wheel bearings on our car is not an easy task and it is even more difficult if you don't have a bearing press.

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
depends...

could also be tierod, balljoints, ect....
Let me be a little more specific...

If the WHEEL feels loose, but the nuts are tight, and the HUB DOESN'T MOVE, then the bearing is dead. If the whole hub assembly moves, then start checking your balljoints and tierods.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
sorry, just didn't want him misdiagnosing!

if you know how to pull the wheel and brakes off it's easier to diagnose in my experience...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so if i pull the wheel and brakes off then how would i go about diagnosing the problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
an easy way to check things out at first is jack the car up and spin the wheel while jacked up...as fast as u can get it going....sometimes they are bad enough you can hear it that way......if you do hear noise....then take the caliper off and try it again to make sure its not the brakes......if you hear the noise without the caliper on its the wheel bearing.....i use this method with a stethoscope(sp?) made for checking bearings.....they are pretty cheap at autoparts stores and go a looong way in diagnosis.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts