Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried to change the front bearings? Is this a good DIY project or should I bite the bullet and pay one of the local Jesse James Gang guys to do it?

I am getting a bit of a grinding noise from the front when I turn the wheel...sound like it might be a bearing...87 supra n.a. with at least 200k miles...just getting broken in...

thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you have a press? A set of large sockets is good to have, too, to substitute for the special tools required. You'll also need a strong 2-jaw puller and an air wrench to get the hub nuts off with a large (32mm?) socket. Lastly, you'll need a strong bench to clamp the hub into so you can torque the hub nut to 140 ft-lb.

It's not hard, but you do need the tools. Read the service manual for the procedure, which you must follow carefully. The assembly order is critical. Buy an extra grease seal just in case you mess up one.

Asterix

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the air tools, etc...however, it sounds like a bear. I've rebuilt this thing from scratch including the engine- by hand- but this sounds tough. Plus, I no longer have a garage and would have to do it under the shade tree...thanks...

jim

·
Vietnamese Supra Owner
615 Posts
before replaceing your bearings, you should check your steering stop. i have the same problem with my car but their was a thread on here about 2-3 pages back that explains it all. before spending tones of money, all you need is a little lube or some steering stop caps from the dealer. ($8.50CAD at Taylor Toyota/Lexus)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Exactly, first replace those caps.
I guess your caps will look like mine, just a piece of rubber left on the bolts. :)

I'll do mine next week when changing the front brake lines. (Didn't get through the German technical check yesterday because of those.)

Changing a bearing isn't very complicated, but you need some rough tools and a press.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Rather than spend any money at all, there's a very easy way to check if your bearings are bad. Just jack up that wheel off the ground. Enough to where you have a good 4-6" under the tire. Then grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to shake it back and forth. Move it towards you, then the car. If you have any amount of movement, you need a new bearing. If it's tight, then the bearing is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts