Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im getting a set wheels that have hardware bolts all around the wheel which are painted black, and i want them silvered or chromed or replaced. they are 3 PIECE RIMS. i gota few questions:

is it as easy as unbolting them off and putting them back on with the tire still on the rim?

what would be an average good torque spec when putting the bolts back on? (seems to be an allen/hex bolt by the way)

can you chrome the bolts including the thread with out hindering their torqing capabality? doesnt chrome add a thicker layer therfore the bolts may not even fit enough to thread in?

where can i buy specific wheel bolts/rivets/hardware for my rims?

has anyone done this?

here are the actual pics of the OZ mito modulars im getting, 17X9, 17X10

here is a pic i paint chopped to my liking

THANKS FOR READING IN ADVANCE:D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks scrwdrver

sounds reasonable, how do i take out the black paint on the rivets? what do i use thats quick and easy?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any other opinions?

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
omar, deflate the tires, and take the rivets out, you need not take the whole rim apart. Once the rivets are off, just take them to get the top part chromed or polished, you wont see the thread anyways

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like ill do just do that. thanks Curtis

now is it worth the money gettin them chromed or polished or should i just buy new rivets and where?

it seems like it would take alot of work to get each rivet chromed or polsihed especially if i dont want the thread touched.

whats a good torque spec for the rivets?

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
they aren't rivets.

They are stainless, just get a buffing wheel and you will have it done at home in no time. The stainless will never need to be touched again. No plating, no painting, etc. Stainless is the shiznit.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
tell us what the thread size and pitch is. I'm guessing an M4 screw. Into aluminum, so you cannot use too much torque or you will pull the threads out of the aluminum part. Stainless is much harder, so no worries there. I'd use no more than 11 inch-lbf. Make sure you use a torque wrench and some blue thread locker (not red or you will ruin the threads when you remove them again some day, if you do.)

-M

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys i apreciate the help.

i dont know if you see what im saying though, the bolts/hardware are painted or powdercoated black from when they painted the centers of the wheel. how am i suppose to strip the paint off of the bolts totally? is there some kinda of industrial strength paint stripper or thinner that will take off the paint from the nook and crannies of the bolt with ease?

thanks in advance :)

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
TRD94JZA80TT said:
thanks guys i apreciate the help.

i dont know if you see what im saying though, the bolts/hardware are painted or powdercoated black from when they painted the centers of the wheel. how am i suppose to strip the paint off of the bolts totally? is there some kinda of industrial strength paint stripper or thinner that will take off the paint from the nook and crannies of the bolt with ease?

thanks in advance :)
You should be able to get a paint stripper that you could soak them in and get all the paint off.
Don't do anything to the threads. (paint stripper won't hurt them) :)

·
Will work for Supra parts
625 Posts
You know, they look just like standard metric socket head cap screws. Pull one out, run down to a hardware store or a industrial supply company and have them take a look at the socket head cap screw. Or to check the threads yourself, find the isle with the metric hardware and find a nut that matches the threads. Note the label on the drawer you pulled the nut out of, and keep that in mind. That will give you the pitch of the thread. Now you can simply purchase some new stainless steel cap screws to replace those on your rims. It may require a special order (up to a week, depending on the supplier) but you won't have to polish anything. Just make sure you get the same length and pitch. You'll be good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts