Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SSR SP1s have developed a haziness on the anodized lip and I was wondering if anyone knew a) what it is and b) how to get rid of it!

I usually use Black Magic Titanium wheel/tire cleaner, but today I used Black magic wheel cleaner, I needed something! Anyway I noticed it when I was drying the car...any ideas?

Reid

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
PM me some pictures of the wheel damage, and i can try to take a look at it and give you a better idea.

I have an idea what you are talking about, and i have seen many anodized wheels damaged due to the use of bad cleaners.

My rules for Anodized wheels is soap and water only, a lot of the Lotus Elise Guys have etched anodized wheels because of them/or the dealerships using harsh cleaners on them. Worse case scenario is you might need to get the wheels refinished.

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
655 Posts
I have the same problem with my volks. I think it needs to be refinished or chromed...

·
Chii Racing Culture
3,396 Posts
DONT use any wheel cleaner on anodized lip of the rim!!! Just use soap and water or the wheel acid cleaner will damage the rim... esp. if u drive your car in the winter. The salt will too damage the rim!!

Sorry bout ur lil situation bro!!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
a polish or cleaner wax might do it...and then use a sealant and a good finishing wax...

This happend to a set of Blitz 03 wheels i had..i used the wrong wheel cleaner
I used a good metal polish/cleaner and some elbow grease and thne finished with a polish...
Im not sure what kind of finish the blitz wheel had on them tho..

i think SSR's have some type of a clear coating on them..i have the SSR's and i use the dupont all wheel cleaner with no problems..i jist spray a little on and then use soap and a soft wash mit and i have no problems....
You need to just use wheel cleaners that are mad for custom wheels...they arent as harsh and wont damage the rims...i ound out the difference the hard way liek you

Ant

·
Chii Racing Culture
3,396 Posts
All you need is soap & water then add a coat of polishing wax, so the next time you wash the rip by hand with soap and water the dirt will come right off. Anodized metal aren't made to hold any wheel acids from what i hear from a lot of people IMO.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
can someone who really knows..explain the differences between anodized and polished and clear coat ect ect..

Some people can;t tell the difference

Ant

·
Registered
568 Posts
a polish or cleaner wax might do it...and then use a sealant and a good finishing wax...

I used a good metal polish/cleaner and some elbow grease and thne finished with a polish...

i think SSR's have some type of a clear coating on them..i have the SSR's and i use the dupont all wheel cleaner with no problems..i jist spray a little on and then use soap and a soft wash mit and i have no problems....
You need to just use wheel cleaners that are mad for custom wheels...they arent as harsh and wont damage the rims...i ound out the difference the hard way liek you

Ant
Just a quick question - I've had some vandals go at my Veilside rims on my Aristo, just before it snowed here a while back and the salts just made the wheels look even worse. In the process of having them refinished...so would the wax actually help against damage from salt during winter as well as helping brake dust/dirt clean off easily?

·
Registered
76 Posts

What type of metal/polish cleaner did you use on the Blitz 03's? I have the same wheels, and from my understanding, they are anodized.
I messed up my lips with a wheel cleaner too and I still cannot fix them. I tried metal polish, a polish/cleaner...but nothing seemed to do the trick.

Basically Anodizing is a type of choating similar to chrome. It's similar in that it uses a charged process to get the desired coating on the metail to help with longetivity and corrosion reistance. Its not like bare aluminum/steel, where usually you can take a metal cleaner/polish to them because anodized pieces have no effect.

Anodizing is realtively EXPENSIVE to repair. From my understanding, to the OP, you would have to re-anodize your lips in order to fully repair them.

You could, however, choose the cheaper route and have their stripped and polish. But this basically means more maintenance and you would regularly have to polish your lips with a metal polish.

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
can someone who really knows..explain the differences between anodized and polished and clear coat ect ect..

Some people can;t tell the difference

Ant
Anodized = Is a electro chemical process that is applyed in a tub. Its rather hard to do at home and requires special equipment. The finish is resistant to corrossion and adhears to the surface better than Clearcoat/paint therefore making it a stronger sheild against scratching etc. It absolutly hates ACID and any Similar chemical cleaners especially OVEN CLEANER, Anodi can be removed using chemicals like this so steer clear.

Polishing= Is a process that invloes grining down the material smooth until its own elements make up a corrosion resistant barrier. It requires frequent maintanance because it is not as protective as Clearcoat or Anodie,but looks amazing.

Clearcoat= Is similar to paint and just froms a sheild over any material , it prevents corrosion build up but is prone to cracking , scratching and depending on its base can be weaked or removed by most laquor and alcohol thinners. Through it works care is required when working with clearcoat.

Thats just off the top of my head , if anyone would like to add anything please do.

As for the rims if they are infact anodized you wont be able to remove it with a mild metal polish. If its on bare surface and is actually the corroding aluminum puffs then you can get it out with any mild polish. If i were you i would probably look into polishing them up and using a good sealer. Then just frequently maintain them.If you daily your car id say either powedercoat or clear. GL let us know what works out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If all else fails, you could always sand them to remove the anodized finish and have them polished. I believe wheel polish is not recommended on anodized finishes.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
What type of metal/polish cleaner did you use on the Blitz 03's? I have the same wheels, and from my understanding, they are anodized.
I messed up my lips with a wheel cleaner too and I still cannot fix them. I tried metal polish, a polish/cleaner...but nothing seemed to do the trick.

Basically Anodizing is a type of choating similar to chrome. It's similar in that it uses a charged process to get the desired coating on the metail to help with longetivity and corrosion reistance. Its not like bare aluminum/steel, where usually you can take a metal cleaner/polish to them because anodized pieces have no effect.

Anodizing is realtively EXPENSIVE to repair. From my understanding, to the OP, you would have to re-anodize your lips in order to fully repair them.

You could, however, choose the cheaper route and have their stripped and polish. But this basically means more maintenance and you would regularly have to polish your lips with a metal polish.

well nothing was workin on the blitz wheels at first so i decided to try something else....
I bought this stuff from eagle 1 i think, and it comes in an aluminum canister..its sort of like a cotton type of material and all you do is tear off peices and rub it all over the metal, then wipe with a soft cloth..it cleans just about any type of metals and i dont just use it on rims...its not a new product either..its been around for many years...my dad says he used to use something like that in the 50's and 60's...now eagle 1 just remakes the shit...
I am pretty sure its called "never dull"
after i got all the corrosion off i just used a polish after that
they looked brand new again

Ant

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
You could just disassemble them and get the lips chromed.
Easier maintainance too, it would be like $125 each lip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts