Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes for my supra, I've decided i want Rota Grid R's, Now i've done my research and read thru the wheels/offset help thread, I've came to the conclusion that i will need spacers but there illegal for the road where i am sadly.

Anything i could do about it or just put up with a rough-ish fitment? From what i've read this is a GOOD fitment
Front: 18/10 +43 with 285/30/18
Rear: 18/11.5 +49 with 315/30/18

I've also read this is a good fitment if so i can get close to this one
18x9 +29 front / 18x10 +38 rear

The best Rota does are
Front - 18x9.5 + 25 or 30
Back - 18x10 + 38

Or i could go 38 for both if 18/10 +43 / 18/11.5 +49 is the correct fitment
+38 ain't to bad i guess will it fit nice? If it comes down to it i will buy the closest fitment i can then just run spacers if i have to, I was going to go 19's but i've heard problem with break clearing and some rubbing so i'll stick to 18's to avoid that. Any help with the fitment for Rota grids R would be highly appercaited there is very little infomation if not none of these wheels when it comes to fitment, so any help would be bloody appercaited, cheers.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
I think you are misunderstanding spacers. They would lower the offset, pushing the wheel further out. You use spacers if you need to push the wheel out for caliper clearance, inner suspension clearance, flushness etc.
If you ran spacers with the Rotas, they would poke out even more..
18x9.5 +30 front is fine. I have seen +22 and its okay with a ~255. It wont look "perfect" but that is subjective.
Running a spacer with the 9.5+30 would look bad IMO.
10+38 rear is also fine. They will fit fine, just make sure they clear your brakes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are misunderstanding spacers. They would lower the offset, pushing the wheel further out. You use spacers if you need to push the wheel out for caliper clearance, inner suspension clearance, flushness etc.
If you ran spacers with the Rotas, they would poke out even more..
18x9.5 +30 front is fine. I have seen +22 and its okay with a ~255. It wont look "perfect" but that is subjective.
Running a spacer with the 9.5+30 would look bad IMO.
10+38 rear is also fine. They will fit fine, just make sure they clear your brakes.
Thanks for clearing that up it gave me a better understanding

Awesome i think that's settled then
18x9.5 + 30 Front and
18x10 + 38 for the back
Is it worth going +38 for the front aswell or will 30 be fine?

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
I have to ask, Why do you like Rota's????? There are so many other options to pick from instead of Rotos.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
^price!

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
I was kind of thinking that may be the Answer but If you can afford a 93 Up Supra, I'd hope you could afford a nice set of wheels especially since there are alot in the For sale sections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Assuming that your good fitments (Front: 18/10 +43 Rear: 18/11.5 +49) are correct, then the Rota's you've checked out (front 18/9.5 +30 rear 18/10 +38) will stick out ('poke') 6mm more at the front, and 8mm less at the rear. To make those width wheels match exactly with the good fitments you'd need a +36 et on the front and +30 et on the rear.
This is a great site/tool for comparing existing/known good fitments with new ones http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...el_size=18&wheel_width=10&offset2=38#isPage=1

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to ask, Why do you like Rota's????? There are so many other options to pick from instead of Rotos.
Nah man i honestly just like them, I believe the make a supra look fucking mean, I own 2 supra's skimping out on mags ain't a problem, I'm not going to lie if i had money to blow i would buy some TE37 SL i really like the shape/style of Te37's and to me rota's look very similar and for the price i love them, That being said if there where twice the price i'd think the same i just like the rota look it's personal prefernce. BUT with that being said shit guys are rota's that bad quailty those pictures have turned me of ahah

What are some other nice wheels? I'm not going to sugercoat it i'm building 2 supra's right now i don't want to spend an arm and a leg on wheels but shit if Rota are really that bad i might have to look elsewhere :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was kind of thinking that may be the Answer but If you can afford a 93 Up Supra, I'd hope you could afford a nice set of wheels especially since there are alot in the For sale sections.
You're right, Like i said above price ain't the issue i just honestly like rota's

I wanted Rota's on my red supra and some nice BBS ML's on my other supra, Now i'm turned off rota's but i honestly like the look of them
PS : I'm not in the states i'm forced to buy wheels local unless i want to pay a fortune for shipping.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Assuming that your good fitments (Front: 18/10 +43 Rear: 18/11.5 +49) are correct, then the Rota's you've checked out (front 18/9.5 +30 rear 18/10 +38) will stick out ('poke') 6mm more at the front, and 8mm less at the rear. To make those width wheels match exactly with the good fitments you'd need a +36 et on the front and +30 et on the rear.
This is a great site/tool for comparing existing/known good fitments with new ones http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...el_size=18&wheel_width=10&offset2=38#isPage=1
Cheers mate honestly appercaite the help, I might look at some other wheels now with a nicer fitment as people are saying the quailty sucks. I don't want to spend the money on some shit mags.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Idk guys please help me out here
Personal Preference

But i love the look of those, And there rota's. I also like BBS now they look amazingly good but not for this supra.
Any alternatives that look excatly like this but better quailty? I've gone thru ALOT of threads on this forums and honestly not many wheels/style appeal to me on supra's theres only a handfull i like. Anyone have some nice as fuck photos of some nice mags that don't cost a fortune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rota do some good looking wheels, lots and lots of people run them in the UK. You hear horror stories and see pics like those above but I bet the percentage of fails compared to the number of wheels sold is very small - I've also seen similar pics of damage done to premium/quality wheels. I had rota D2's (SSR SP1 copies) on my last supra which was my daily driver with no issues at all, I saved for the real thing for my current one though. If your car is for street use and you drive it 'normally' :D they should be fine. If you track it or drift in it then maybe not...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Rota do some good looking wheels, lots and lots of people run them in the UK. You hear horror stories and see pics like those above but I bet the percentage of fails compared to the number of wheels sold is very small - I've also seen similar pics of damage done to premium/quality wheels. I had rota D2's (SSR SP1 copies) on my last supra which was my daily driver with no issues at all, I saved for the real thing for my current one though. If your car is for street use and you drive it 'normally' :D they should be fine. If you track it or drift in it then maybe not...
You've got a really good point there, That being said as i've been reading all wheels can break as we all know hit the wrong thing etc say goodbye.
I personally think they make some really nice looking wheels to! I'm not going to lie Looking at Rota Grid R's Side shot aren't that great but like that picture above ^ i LOVE THEM, Look bloody awesome.

Nice man glad to hear you had a good personal experince with rota's i probably will buy rota's then same as you my dream mags later on, The supra i'm buying these Rota's for yep it's just a street car nothing fancy and does not really get hamered, I should be fine! Now i just have to look into the offset a bit more

From the fitment you suggested "+36 et on the front and +30 et on the rear." i can get pretty dam close to that
18x9.5 +30 Front
18x10 +35 Rear
That's as close i'll get to +36
Quick question, I noticed alot of people run 18x10 front's and 18x10.5 or 11's on the rear, Rota don't do past 10 from what i can see
Would it look stupid running 18x10 fronts and 18x10 rears? As 18x10 seems to be a good fitment for the front but could be wider for the rear or will that look stupid should i just stick with 9.5 for fronts and 10 for the rears?
PS : Tried to use that site looks great if the current wheels are known i'm going to try see what size mine are.

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts
Any alternatives that look excatly like this but better quailty? I've gone thru ALOT of threads on this forums and honestly not many wheels/style appeal to me on supra's theres only a handfull i like. Anyone have some nice as fuck photos of some nice mags that don't cost a fortune.
Yes, those Rotas are copies of the Volk TE37 - QUALITY wheels that won't break and fuck up your MKIV.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, those Rotas are copies of the Volk TE37 - QUALITY wheels that won't break and fuck up your MKIV.
Yeah you're right probably why i like rota's so much.

Meh i think i'll take the risk on Rota's there's stigma on everything out there, Humans are humans everyone has different preservative from different experiences.
With that being said hopefully i have a good experience haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts