Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm having some issue with wheel hop lately. I'm not sure if its the tires are not. Here is my setup:

Megan coilover installed about 6 months ago.
R2 bushing kit both front and rear: Installed 6 months ago
I have volks 18 inch rims with Goodyear GSD1 tires. Rear tire of 285/35/18

Anyways, what can I do to eliminatethe wheel hop. I rather spin instead of the wheel hop as it doesn't kill the diff. When I first got the car, it didn't wheel hop and thats with kyb/eibach spring setup. I think I had kumo before and then got Yoko es100. Anyways, do you think its the tires that is causing the wheelhop. Any suggestion on how to eliminate it would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is your car aligned good? When you put new coilovers on a car, usually you get a little negative camber. There are a lot of adjustments in Supras so you don't need a camber kit but its something to think about. Do you have any vibration at highway speeds?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anyways, what can I do to eliminatethe wheel hop. I rather spin instead of the wheel hop as it doesn't kill the diff. When I first got the car, it didn't wheel hop and thats with kyb/eibach spring setup. I think I had kumo before and then got Yoko es100. Anyways, do you think its the tires that is causing the wheelhop. Any suggestion on how to eliminate it would be much appreciated :)
IME, wheel hop is not a tire issue - it's a shock issue. Try changing your shock settings (assuming your shocks are adjustable). I'd start by stiffening the rear shocks. If your shock settings aren't adjustable, you can play with tire pressures to try to alleviate the wheel hop.

8,181 Posts
i get a wheel hop while launching but not most of the time. its a different combination of WH and bulking down.

some times it bulks down an dthen WH some times it launsh good and then begin WH'ing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your car aligned good? When you put new coilovers on a car, usually you get a little negative camber. There are a lot of adjustments in Supras so you don't need a camber kit but its something to think about. Do you have any vibration at highway speeds?
No I don't get any vibration at highway speeds. The alignment seem to be good as it doesn't pull at all.

Are you hopping on the street, or at the drags?
I haven't taken the car to the drag yet so this is happening on the street.

Yes I do have adjustable suspension. I heard you should soften the rear suspension and set the front more stiff? is that not true. I have megan coilover, what setting should I set them too.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

·
Banned
752 Posts
I was getting wheel hop at the drag strip. I solved it by doing a second gear burnout to get more tire speed, and installing line lock, to allow a longer burnout, which heats the tire more evenly. I don't think either of these will help you with wheel hop on the street though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have kyb shocks. should i keep stiff in the back and soft front or othet way round.
Some good replies so far - changing differential mounts or engine mounts will help, as will changing control arms, but I'd start with tweaking what you have on the car already. If you have shocks that're independently adjustable for compression and rebound then I'd adjust as follows: Rear: compression = softer, rebound = stiffer; Front: rebound = softer. These settings will allow weight to transfer to the rear and help the rear stay planted. If you have shocks (like KYB I believe) that adjust compression (bump) and rebound at the same time, you'll have to play with your settings since they're (in effect) cancelling each other for front to rear weight transfer. Experiment with the KYBs and you may find one setting that works best (I'd at least soften the fronts to get some transfer). I'd also play with tire pressures - I'd start by reducing pressures to see if the car will hook up better. If you still can't minimize wheel hop to your satisfaction, then you can add air pressure to the rears - you'll have more wheelspin but will be saving your drivetrain. By playing with the adjustability in your car you may find a frequency that eliminates wheelhop in most circumstances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts