Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my car the wheel hop was absolutely terrible, to the point that I couldnt even get my tires to spin without it sounding like the backend was going to fall out of the car. I installed Titan weld-in diff mounts and Titan Solid ear mounts in hopes it would cure my hopping, but it only got slightly better.

I took it to the track and made two passes, and the wheel hop just completely destroyed my passes, both passes I could only get a best of 2.7 60ft time because I had to keep feathering the gas to get it to stop hopping.

My tires are 275/45/17 Nitto 555II's @ 25psi at the track, 30 psi on the street ( hops the same at both pressures) . Car is BPU. What should I do next? Should I be looking at replacing engine/trans mounts, or do you think the tires are the cause of the problem?

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Personally the best improvement in wheelhop reduction that I've seen had to do with spring and dampening rate. What are you running for suspension? If your suspension is worn, a solid mount would probably help to only make the problem worse in some ways.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bone stock suspension, nothing seems "worn" suspension wise. My rear struts arent leaking, there isnt any excessive bouncing while driving or anything. it "feels" fine.

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
If you haven't already done so, you need TRD engine and tranny mounts and depending on the mileage/condition you may need to refresh the suspension and subframe bushings. But.... You're not going to completely cure wheel hop on radials (at least 17" ones) without a LOT of work - maybe never.... Honestly, stop wasting your time and buy a pair of FD RX-7 wheels and throw some ET Streets or QTP's on them and enjoy a real tire; otherwise you're wasting your time fighting an uphill battle. The only way I was ever able to get out of the hole on a radial without wheelhop was to slip the hell out of the clutch.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not interested in changing wheels at this point, I want to cure wheel hop on the street as well as the track, and I want to keep my stock wheels. I guess ill switch up to a different tire, and do the TRD engine and trans mounts.

Any suggestions on tires? For street and strip duty. I know you Suggested 555R's, but anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think im going to do the TRD engine and trans mounts before I spend the money on tires. The mounts will be useful either way whether they fix the hop or not, but theres no sense in replacing the tires right now if the mounts fix the hop.

·
Registered
768 Posts
When I purchased my car the wheel hop was absolutely terrible, to the point that I couldnt even get my tires to spin without it sounding like the backend was going to fall out of the car. I installed Titan weld-in diff mounts and Titan Solid ear mounts in hopes it would cure my hopping, but it only got slightly better.

I took it to the track and made two passes, and the wheel hop just completely destroyed my passes, both passes I could only get a best of 2.7 60ft time because I had to keep feathering the gas to get it to stop hopping.

My tires are 275/45/17 Nitto 555II's @ 25psi at the track, 30 psi on the street ( hops the same at both pressures) . Car is BPU. What should I do next? Should I be looking at replacing engine/trans mounts, or do you think the tires are the cause of the problem?
You did all that and over looked the basics, like alignment ?

·
SF Contributing Member
1,549 Posts
Nitto 555R2 are for road course and auto cross while 555R are for drag and straight line. Never had any issue with 555R on the highway (BPU) and at the track, I'm just drop with eibach on stock struts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I run KDW II's and like them they are loud but have good grip. I dont have wheel hop i just break loose, but im also not bpu. Hope you find an answer to your problem i have to agree with the other guys on just getting a good set of drags.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although I do still need to put my car on the alignment rack, I doubt it has anything to do with my wheel hop issue... I can imagine an alignment would have to be so severely out to cause wheel hop it would be quite noticeable by the naked eye if anything.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah what steering angle would cause that anyway? Also your tires would be wearing or car pulling if your alignment was that out of wack.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah what steering angle would cause that anyway? Also your tires would be wearing or car pulling if your alignment was that out of wack.
My tires are at like 25% life remaining, and they are worn perfectly, and the car doesnt pull... so re-alignment is on the back burner for now.

I think im gonna go with some 555R's then.... they are relatively inexpensive too. Only $158 each for my size (275/40/17) Any other sizes reccomended for the stock wheel?

·
Registered
267 Posts
My tires are at like 25% life remaining, and they are worn perfectly, and the car doesnt pull... so re-alignment is on the back burner for now.

I think im gonna go with some 555R's then.... they are relatively inexpensive too. Only $158 each for my size (275/40/17) Any other sizes reccomended for the stock wheel?
Dont waste your money on nittos try to get some ET's for the stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
275/40/17 a good size to be using?

and do any of our forum sponsors carry ET streets? idk where to get them from, discounttiredirect and tirerack both dont carry them.

Also am I looking for "ET Street Radial" or "ET Street Radial II" ?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Not interested in changing wheels at this point, I want to cure wheel hop on the street as well as the track, and I want to keep my stock wheels. I guess ill switch up to a different tire, and do the TRD engine and trans mounts.

Any suggestions on tires? For street and strip duty. I know you Suggested 555R's, but anything else I should look at?
you have already been provided with the cheapest option to cure hop. If you dont want to listen, fine but dont come on here telling us about the trans/diff/driveshaft you busted while hopping down the track like peter cotton-tail
Jason

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've been dealing with wheelhop, too, with my stock suspension 94 (49k miles), and 295/17 mickey thompson drag radials on the street. I installed Megan traction rods, did a lance alignment and didn't notice any improvement in wheelhop. I then installed Titan ear mounts and noticed wheelhop somewhat improved by a small margin. I then installed TRD tranny mount, and noticed wheelhop was less; I have no idea what happened, but the stock tranny mount that was replaced was very worn out, rubber band-like soft. I still have a little of wheelhop on 1-2 shift, and will be installing a set of coilovers. The bushings still looked to be in good shape.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts