Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can i do to take care of a serious wheel hop problem? It has just gotten worse since I installed my new "az" clutch.

I am also running nittos could these have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Actually the stiffer springs will probably hurt you more. They do not allow the car to drop in the back under acceleration, and provide a more rigid platform. I have come to find that slipping the clutch more instead of dumping it has helped out my wheel hop tremendously. The clutch is awesome and holds ALL the power, where as I think my previous clutches have slipped a little.

stephen

·
Registered
147 Posts
I"m thinking it may be the shocks. I was wheel hopping like mad when i launch my auto. I think its the shocks. I'll be upgrading my suspension (tanabe pross) in the spring so i won't know for sure till then.

wez

·
Registered
204 Posts
That clutch becomes a TOTALLY new clutch once you have gotten it broken in. I think i havew well over 1000 miles, maybe 2000, and it is NOTHING like the day I got it put in. That will have a big impact on the wheel hop, but if you slip it alot more it should go away all together. I HAVE noticed that when my coilovers are all the way tight I get alot more wheel hop then when they are all the way loose.

stephen

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
ktrends said:
What can i do to take care of a serious wheel hop problem? It has just gotten worse since I installed my new "az" clutch.

I am also running nittos could these have anything to do with it?
What tires are you running? Tires are a big factor (the biggesr factor) in wheel hop. For this reason, one tire to definitely AVOID is the Michelin Pilot Sport (PoS).

BFG G-Force TA KD's considerably reduced wheel hop on my car. Then going back to a stock flywheel totally eliminated what wheel hop there still was. Remember that a light flywheel and grabby clutch is also a factor in increasing the chances of wheel hop. Now even with a pretty damn grabby RPS Stage 3 w/ stock flywheel, I have no more wheelhop.

Andi

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andi-

I am running nitto 555R's, I also am useing a stock flywheel. All suspension is STOCK. I think breaking the clutch in really well will answer some of my problem. I just wondered why I hadn't heard anything about wheel hop before?!

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
ktrends said:
Andi-

I am running nitto 555R's, I also am useing a stock flywheel. All suspension is STOCK. I think breaking the clutch in really well will answer some of my problem. I just wondered why I hadn't heard anything about wheel hop before?!
I hope (and believe) that the clutch breaking in will at least help slightly.....

I used to have 315/35-17 Micheline POS Pilot Sports, and the wheel hop was *BAD*. Combined with a TRD Twin Disc clutch with lightweight flywheel, it was enough to cause me to blow a differential on a 1-2 shift. :(

Andi

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've found that tires are the cause of wheel hop in my car. I have Eibachs/bilsteins and have always gotten an alignment done to Lance's specs after putting new tires on the stock rims. With 255 BFG comps ta's - no hop; 255 firehawk sz50 ep's - hop; 275 S-02 pp's - no hop; 275 firehawk sz-50 ep's - hop.

-Logan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts