Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Will work for Supra parts
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I could really use some help here. I bought my Supra from a dealer last year and I specifically asked them if the car had any wheel locks, since it has some Ray's/Volk 18" rims mounted. I was told no. That was all fine and dandy, but it took me almost a year to track down the big hex wrench just to take off the center caps so I could check. Upon finally being able to remove the center caps, I see the dealer was half right. The rear rims do not have any wheel locks, but the fronts do!

I checked inside my Supra everywhere I could think to try and find a key, with no luck. I knew the glove compartment had a tag from a wheel lock registration with a number on it for odering a spare. I gave McGuard a call, ordered a new wheel lock key with the number I had. That arrived last Monday, and I think there is a small chance my problems are taken care of. Look at the key, lock at the wheel lock, and come to find out it's not even close. I'm guessing not even the same brand.

So now I still have the problem of never being able to remove the locks. If I ever get a front flat somewhere, I'm pretty much screwed.

What are my options here? I've heard some remove locks with a tight fitting socket and an impact, some have luck going to a tire shop who have a box full of keys, and somehow, some shops can remove these things. I've thought about trying a socket myself, but if I just round the sucker off, then what? I thought about drilling it off and changing the stud, which is no big deal, too. Left hand drill bit, E-Z out, or something to that effect? Maybe I could drill and tap it, then thread a bolt in with a lock nut, and hit it with an impact?

I've got a picture of the wheel lock. Here it is.......

Can someone help me figure out what brand this lock is? Anybody have the same style? The clearance between the rim and the outer edge is to tight for a socket to fit over, but I could possibily fit one inside, where the key is ment to go. I just don't want to destroy the pattern, unless I know it will spin off. I'd really appreciate any leads you guys might be able to provide me with. Sooner or later, the front rims are going to have to come off........

· Registered
359 Posts
I guess you already tried this but cant you just get a thin walled deep well socket and slide it right in there.Obviosly like you said you need to get a smaller size socket then the lug nut and then beat the hell out of the socket to make it go over it.I did this with my stock lugnut lock that stripped out.I wonder if you could do what i said and then also weld the socket with a nice little bead to the lug nut.Good luck

· How does my exhaust smell
798 Posts
Just about any large reputable wheel/tire shop will have a guy who could get it off in 2 minutes.

They make special sockets that you can hammer into the wheel lock, then spin it off with a air tool. It really showed my how wheel locks are unless against anybody with a clue.

709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. These sockets are like screw extractors, with flutes inside, no? Where can I buy one? Seems the best route to go, if either I do it myself or go to a wheel shop. I just hope there is enough clearance between the wheel lock and hole bored in the rim. Seems kind of tight to me. How thick are the walls on these sockets?

I may check E-Bay too. I'll also try a search for Muteki.

· TH400 Club
936 Posts
I work at a tire place, and I have taken wheel locks off without the exact key a few times. We charge $10 a lock. All I do is find the tightest fitting socket possible, beat the shit out of it till it goes on, and use a lot of impact to get it off. It usually takes a few trys, but it works.

We also have a kit to remove wheel locks, I havent gotten a chance to use them because we are missing a few but most other shops use the kits, so I say bring it somewhere.

Take pictures before hand so if its scratched to all hell you can be pissed with evidence.

· Registered
748 Posts
Go to any garage get them to weld a regular lug nut (or any nut) to the top of the lock nut then turn it off with a regular wrench. Any guy with an arc welder can do this in < 5 min. I did this when I blew a tire miles from home and had left my lock nut key in my tool box. Cheap and easy.

· Banned
1,090 Posts
try discount tire, it looks like my wheel lock, gurilla wheel locks? i got mine from discount tire.

709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my wheel locks do bare a pretty close resemblance to Gorilla Guard locks. They have that outer sleeve to protect the splined lock, and it's supposed to freely spin, I guess, but I didn't try them to see if they did. I'll have to check tomorrow.

exvelocity, thanks for the offer, but I don't suppose you are in WI?

Willjs7, thanks man. How do I know which key I need though? There must be a few different ones.

Thanks for all the info and help guys. I know I have some options now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.